Views
Helpful
Replies

Shut/No Shut an ATM Port

AShafran2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We use a lot of Cisco 887s (with ATM ports) and sometimes need to flap the interface (to accomplish the equivalent of power cycling a modem). If we have two connections, we just go through the other one and issue shut/no shut. If we only have one connection, we would lose management access as soon as we issue the shutdown command (and would then not be able to issue the no shutdown command). Is there another command to cause the interface to go down and then come up (all in one command) so that the connection will drop and re-establish without losing management access? We do not want to have to reboot the whole router just to do this.

Thanks,

Adam

6 Replies 6

r-godden
Level 1
Level 1

Using timed commands, found this elsewhere

http://networkengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/3473/time-based-interface-shutdown-on-cisco-router

Adam

I would think that you could write an EEM script that would do this for you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for your help. I'll try scripting an EEM tomorrow. The issue with EEM is that we are a WAN solutions provider. The amount of time to set up an EEM on all of our devices would take a long time. I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks for the help.

Adam

The advantage of EEM is that it is self contained on the router so that once you initiate the script it will run to completion whether or not your connection is interrupted. The disadvantage is that it must be configured on the device. So if there are many devices then the effort to implement it may be large. But if it does solve the problem then perhaps the effort is worth it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

The answer to your dilemma is, as what Rick has recommended, is EEM script. Once an event is triggered, the script gets run.  

In regards to the amount of network device you need to push this to is not an issue.  If you have someone who's good at PERL and SNMP you can push configuration changes in one-big-sweep.  

This can be done because we've used PERL and SNMP to push configurations across in the past.  What you'll need is a list of IP addresses and the SNMP RW community string. 

Thanks Leo. That's a help. I was kind of hoping there was a command that would reset the interface making shut/no shut unnecessary. The purpose of this is just to drop the DSL connection and re-initiate it. I'm going to try doing this with EEM.

Thanks,

Adam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: