cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Shutting down Cisco 6513

austin0824
Level 1
Level 1

We shall be having power maintenance in my place of work. We would need to shut down all Cisco devices before the maintenance begins and power them back up again after. How do I shutdown modules of the Cisco 6513 multilayer switches properly before turning off the power switch?

6 Replies 6

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Austin

you need to make sure that the latest config is saved and backed up.

Also make sure that you have the ios version backed up.

Once you are done with this i dont think you have any specific procedure to shut the modules before switching the chassis off.

regds

From my understanding, the chassis is the back plane the holds the various modules. Do I simply carry out my back-ups and manually turn off the two power switches.

Hi Austin

have you installed any service modules like IDS/NAM etc., in this switch ?

I did assume end users getting connected onto the swich.

For the service modules you have shutdown either through cli or through manual intervention is reqd.

regds

Yes, you simply turn off the at the power switches once you have saved your config.

Note as Edwin mentioned, some of the service modules need to be shutdown before you turn off the power. You can either do this manually on the module itself ie. there is usually a shutdown button or from the CLI

6500# hw-module module shutdown

Jon

Thanks Jon. When power is restored, do I just power up from the power switch and assume the modules come up automatically.

Yes, just power up the switch. You can connect a laptop via the console connection and watch the modules come up just in case there are problems.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card