Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Simiulation of Frame Relay cloud

Hi guys/ ladies,

I got a C2611, w/ 4 low speed serial ports. Can I use this single router to simulate a WAN cloud environment? If require DTE/DCE cables, how would I connect the cables? I just need a point-to-point non-broadcast.

Pls advise.

Thank you.

• WAN Routing and Switching
2 REPLIES

Re: Simiulation of Frame Relay cloud

Hi Jason,

You can use this to simulate your WAN cloud, first check it frame-relay switching is supported on your IOS.

conf t

frame-relay switching

If it takes that command you can use it as a frame relay switch. Please follow the links for reame-relay configuration:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/wan_c/wcdfrely.htm#wp1002491

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=170741&seqNum=7

You frame relay switch will be the DCE side as it will provid clocking for the CPE device. So configure the interfaces as DCE and on the DTE side you the frame-relay encapsulation on the serial interfaces.

regards,

-amit singh

VIP Purple

Re: Simiulation of Frame Relay cloud

Hello,

do you have just that one 2611 router ? I think most configuration examples are based on a router configured as a switch, and then another router connected to the serial interface(s), as described in the links mentioned by Amit. If you want to use just 1 router, the configuration is quite similar. Let´s say you want to connect Serial0 and Serial1 on your 2611, the config would look like this (for a point-to-point link):

frame-relay switching

!

interface Serial0

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay

clockrate 125000

frame-relay intf-type dce

!

interface Serial0.1 point-to-point

ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.252

frame-relay interface-dlci 202

!

interface Serial1

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay

!

interface Serial1.1 point-to-point

ip address 172.16.1.2 255.255.255.252

frame-relay interface-dlci 202

You will indeed need an (X.21 or V.35) DCE-DTE cable, and connect your two serial interfaces with this cable. The ´clock rate´ command goes on the interface where the DCE end is connected to...

Regards,

GP

Views
Helpful
Replies