cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple config for a 1720 router.

kendalle01
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking for a config example for a 1720 router to do a simple network. The 1720 will be sitting between my core switch and the broadband router. All other PCs in the network will be attached to the core switch. Can anyone point me to a sample config?

7 Replies 7

beast_gts
Level 1
Level 1

How is it connected?

Do you want it to do DHCP, NAT, PAT or anything like that?

I'm thinking it would look something like this...

PC

|

|

Internet----DSL Router--1720 Router----Switchs

It would have to do DHCP and I imagine some sort of global natting. Anything from the PC not destined for the 192.168 or internal network would just go out to the Internet. Thanks for the reply.

...sorry, should have know the formating wouldn't work... I was trying to show the PC attached to the switch.

How are the DSL Router and the 1720 Router connected?

There's a network cable between the two.

I didn't believe I could go from the switch to the DSL router because the switch cannot do layer 3 routing.

I can't manage the DSL router-it's from the ISP provider.

Thanks.

So your 1720 has an WIC-1ENet in it? Is that connected to the switch or the DSL Router?

Have your ISP given you a static IP address or do they use DHCP?

No, the WIC I currently have is for a T1 DSU/CSU. So, I imaging that's problem number one.

My ISP provides me a dynamic and not a static IP. I can get business class server but it's more money.

Thanks for all your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card