cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple form of QOS for a single IP?

lombobob
Level 1
Level 1

I am reading the command reference right now, but it all seems very involved for what I want to do.

I just want to prioritize bandwidth inbound (external IP) to a single machine/IP address. A server behind a 530 series firewall that hosts multiple apps/ports. Is there anyway to just give priority to any inbound traffic destine for this single machine?

Thank You.

Router is;

C2600-DS-M, Version 12.2(17a)

7 Replies 7

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

In most scenarios, the WAN link bandwidth will be much less than the LAN link bandwidth therefore it's a bit pointless to apply a policy at the LAN interface.

Now, since you are concerned with inbound traffic, there is really nothing you can do about it. The traffic has been scheduled out by your ISP using whatever scheduling method they have so once it gets to you, there's nothing much you can do about it.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Maybe I wasn’t very clear about what I want to accomplish. We have an internal server that hosts multiple apps for our company’s mobile users. We are sharing 2 T1 lines for about 400 Internet users on the same LAN/T1’s as the server that needs to be accessed remotely.

The problem is; during peak Hr’s our mobile users complain about the response time of this server that provides their applications. I know the server is not the bottleneck, but rather the 2 T’1 of pipe that is shared with everyone.

I would like to be able to give priority to anything directed at this internal server, so our mobile users get a better response time before the internal users using the internet. If it is not possible to give priority bandwidth to this machine, maybe I can just set aside an amount of bandwidth just for this segment of the network?

Thank You.

Can you clarify one more thing ? Do you wish to prioritis traffic destined for the server from the Internet or do you want to prioritise traffic sourced from the server to the Internet ?

Paresh

Quite possibly both;

The users are coming in from the internet via wireless. But they also need to recieve the data comming out from the server in a timely fashion.

Ok. As I mentioned in my earlier post, there is very little you can do to control the traffic destined from your server from the Internet. The only place this can be controlled is at the ISP's interface to you, and you generally don't get to configure the ISP's router :-)

Now, you can control the traffic from the server to the Internet in order to give it priority. Below is one way of doing so:

class-map FromServer

match access-group 101

!

policy-map OutPolicy

class FromServer

bandwidth 128

!

interface Serial0

description Interace to Internet

service-policy output OutPolicy

!

access-list 101 permit ip host any

The above policy will guarantee 128k of bandwidth outbound to traffic from the Server. You can tweak the values to suit you.

Pls do remember to rate posts.

Paresh

For what it's worth, I've been down this road recently and Paresh is correct, there is not much you can do as the bottleneck is inbound towards your network from the provider. The appropriate place to implement a policy would be egress on the upstream router, and that is not likely to happen.

Thank you all for the replies. Much appreciated.

I will pass this on to the powers above me and see how they want to handle it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: