Helpful
Replies

simple ospf

rajivrajan1
Level 3
Level 3

Dear friends,

Need a simple clarification.

How to find ospf version running in cisco? ( not google;)

or exactly,

which command will show you the ospf version , which is running in your router?

tnx in advance

rajeev.s

4 Replies 4

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

Hi!

To be honest I never put myself this question:), but as general idea you use OSPF v2 for IPv4, OSPF v3 for IPv6, and if under "router ospf x" config you have the following line:

"compatible rfc1583"

means that OSPF process is backward compatible with IOS 12.0 (meaning OSPF v1).

I will search on cisco.com for this command but I don't know it (if exist) right now.

Cheers,

Calin

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Rajeev,

the answer is simple:

OSPF version 2 supports IPv4 only RFC 2328

OSPFv3 supports IPv6 only

so depending on the routed protocol you get a single answer

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The other posters have addressed V2 and V3 OSPF, but do realize, implementations, including Cisco's, do sometimes vary if there are "optional" parts of the specification (or other RFC suggestions), vendor "enhancements", and in the "gray" areas of the specification, i.e. how the protocol is actually implemented. These sometimes lead to (hopefully) rare, but "interesting" issues when mixing vendors or even major software levels within a vendor's product line even though the "whatever the product" meets standards.

Reason I mention the above, just wondering why you wanted to know the OSPF version.

[edit]

A simple example of differences within the same OSPF standard, is anything automatically done for link costing?

troswellCCO
Level 1
Level 1

By "OSPF version" do you mean the OSPF process ID?

If so, you can display all the OSPF processes currently running using the command "sh ip ospf | i Process" in priv-exec mode.

Hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card