Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Simple traffic shaping with ASR9K

I'm trying to do the simplest output traffic shaping possible on some bundle-ethernet sub-interfaces using pieces of config like below:

interface Bundle-Ether1.111
 description Customer
 service-policy output Customer_out
 ipv4 address X.Y.Z.T 255.255.255.252
 encapsulation dot1q 111

policy-map Customer_out
 class class-default
  shape average 10 mbps
 !
 end-policy-map

First of all, is this a valid config for limiting that sub-interface's output traffic to 10Mbps?  Actually to 20Mbps for perfectly balanced traffic, since that bundle is configured over two physical interfaces...  "show policy-map interface bundle-ether 1.111" shows increasing "Taildropped(packets/bytes)" from time to time, but I'm asking this because I only seem to find hierarchical policy-map examples in the documentation.

And second question (possibly related to the first one):  are the "show interfaces" and SNMP counters for the sub-interface taken before the service-policy is applied?  Just after configuring this the customer happened to take a pretty big flood - those taildropped counters increased like crazy, but "show interfaces bundle-ether1.111" and the Cacti graph for the sub-interface still showed Gbps of output traffic...

Thank you.

Views
Helpful
Replies