cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple traffic shaping with ASR9K

Iulian Vaideanu
Level 4
Level 4

I'm trying to do the simplest output traffic shaping possible on some bundle-ethernet sub-interfaces using pieces of config like below:

interface Bundle-Ether1.111
 description Customer
 service-policy output Customer_out
 ipv4 address X.Y.Z.T 255.255.255.252
 encapsulation dot1q 111

policy-map Customer_out
 class class-default
  shape average 10 mbps
 !
 end-policy-map

First of all, is this a valid config for limiting that sub-interface's output traffic to 10Mbps?  Actually to 20Mbps for perfectly balanced traffic, since that bundle is configured over two physical interfaces...  "show policy-map interface bundle-ether 1.111" shows increasing "Taildropped(packets/bytes)" from time to time, but I'm asking this because I only seem to find hierarchical policy-map examples in the documentation.

And second question (possibly related to the first one):  are the "show interfaces" and SNMP counters for the sub-interface taken before the service-policy is applied?  Just after configuring this the customer happened to take a pretty big flood - those taildropped counters increased like crazy, but "show interfaces bundle-ether1.111" and the Cacti graph for the sub-interface still showed Gbps of output traffic...

Thank you.

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card