Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

slow performace while accessing applications from remote site to data center/HUB

Hi Experts,

We have one remote site where as we have 15Mbps WAN link ( MPLS cloud ) and for Data center we have 100Mbps link.

Earlier , we had all the application servers connected locally in remote site since it was Tier-1 site according to bussiness but later on , due to some natural disaster we realised that we need to move all the application from local to data center and we executed the same.

But some how , we have some issues with some applications accessibliity and performance degradation . it is slow.

We want to troubleshoot this issue and atleast find out that this is due to bandwidth but as per our understanding , this 15 Mbps bandwidth should be fair enough but still want to dig this issue......

I am very sure that this is only forum whereas i can technically get prepared to troubleshoot this issue and find out the root cause.

I would like to get inputs  from all of you that what are all things from network side , can be tested or can be checked?

Additionally , we have QoS configured on all CE routers whereas we have traffic segregation according to application hierarchy.

Unfortunately , I am not expert in QoS but atleast i would like to know , what are all basic things can be verified ?

Please provide your inputs .......

I would really appreciate if i could get some solution or way to troubleshoot.

Thanks in advance .....

6 REPLIES

slow performace while accessing applications from remote site to

Hi ,

Can anybody share the suggestion for above issue which will really help me to do further troubleshooting ?

Super Bronze

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

". . . this 15 Mbps bandwidth should be fair enough . . ."

And you know this how?

One common issue with WANs vs. LANs is additional distance based latency.  "Surprisingly", those little milliseconds can add up, and when they do, application performance is often perceived as degraded.  Depending on the nature of the application, WAN accelerators can sometimes mitigate this issue.

For troubleshooting, focus on latency end-to-end and packet loss end-to-end.

You mention you're using a MPLS cloud and you mention QoS.  Latency and/or packet loss can happen in the cloud (most often cloud egress) and can be more difficult to examine as you don't normally have direct visibility into the vendor's cloud devices.

PS:

An example of how easy it can be to encounter cloud issues, you mention 100 Mbps at the DC side and 15 Mbps at the remote side.  So what happens if you send @ 100 Mbps to the remote side?  I.e. where will it congest and how is the congestion treated?

How is 15 Mbps remote side provided?  Is it physically more than 15 Mbps but policed by your link vendor?  If so, what happens if you burst above 15 Mbps?

Hi Joseph ,

I would like to express my thanks to you for taking interest in my query . .......

We have WAN link as a ethernet delievery whereas we have configured bandwidth as 15 Mbps on router.

Please find below output of WAN interface which might be helpful :

GigabitEthernet0/2 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is PQ3_TSEC, address is c83c.740e.6e02 (bia c83c.740e.6e02)

Description:MPLS VPN:  Site-Circuit: xxxxx

Internet address is 68.x.x.x/30

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 15000 Kbit/sec, DLY 100 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 7/255, rxload 32/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive set (10 sec)

Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, media type is RJ45

output flow-control is unsupported, input flow-control is unsupported

ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00

Last input 00:00:00, output 00:00:00, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters never

Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 230001

Your question :

what happens if you burst above 15 Mbps?

Honestly , i do not have idea about excess burst traffic

Super Bronze

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It appears the interface might have a bandwidth statement for 15 Mbps.  This alone doesn't normally manage bandwidth.

I also see you've had 230K drops but without knowing anything else, doesn't tell us how significant this count is.  It does tell us, at least on this interface, you do drop packets.

Hi,

As you have mentioned that there are 230K packet drops. I will look into this and try to get details with the help of wireshark .....

additionally , you mentioned that Bandwidth alone statement does not do manage the bandwidth , could you please put light on this ?

As i understood that provider should also have bandwidth limitation command on their PE router ... do you have anything more to say the way provider manages bandwidth management ?

Thanks in advance ............

Super Bronze

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The interface bandwidth statement sets a "logical" value that may be used by other protocols and/or services.  It, alone, doesn't regulate actual bandwidth consumption.  For example, the interface stats txload and rxload calculate current rate over the configured bandwidth.

Only your WAN provider can explain what happens to your traffic when it oversubscribes your contracted bandwidth but most often they will drop the excess.  I.e. they will often police the agreed subscription rate.  Since such drops usually don't account for the kind of traffic being dropped, this can be very detrimental to some network applications.  The better solution is to shape your egress interfaces to the agreed rate.  You can now better "see" incidents of congestion (i.e. help examine ". . . this 15 Mbps bandwidth should be fair enough . . ."), and if there is congestion, you can select how you want to manage it.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content