cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Snmp high cpu load

v.matiakis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there, i have a high cpu problem in cisco 7609. I have excluded the ip.21,ip.22 and at to stop the nms from polling the router, but the high cpu load still goes on. I have sniffed a huge number of get-request from some NMS and seems that the checksum is incorrect printing a "maybe caused by UDP checksum offload"message. DOes anyone know what is going on?

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How often you are polling and how much data are you pulling ?

If you are capturing local to the PC with snmp, then yes you can see checksum errors, thing that doesn't mean the router will receive errors. It would show in the "show ip traffic" if it was.

Hi and thanx for the response. The show ip traffic shows no checksum errors so i suppose this is not a problem. But i exclude the polling from the routing and the arp table, what else could load the cpu SNMP_ENGINE proccess?

Hi,

not sure why the low rating given to my suggestion, when the discussion is not even conclusive.

Anyway, my question stands, how much exactly data are you pulling, and how often.

I am sorry i was told that i must rate every response in how helpfull it was. Anyway the system is being polled every 4 minutes and the data it receives has to make with the interface status and routing protocols. But the problem does not appear every 4 minutes.

So, you have a constant high CPU load, accounted to SNMP in "show proc", and it goes away when you pause polling ?

If so, unless the returned data volume is huge, interval 4 minutes should not cause a problem. You can try repost the question in the network management forum to see if anyone has experience with this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card