cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Solution Help please

jason.cortes
Level 1
Level 1

I've never worked with the 1841's and I was wondering if you can tell me if this solution will work.

Our isp is going to hand us two ethernet cables for our WAN connections, one for internet the other for one end of a point to point.

Can the I plug to two "wan" cables into the two routable ports on the 1841 and from the 4 port HWIC module (HWIC-4ESW) and run from there into my firewall (into our network)??

If this solution is correct than can I send all traffic from WAN A to port 1 on the HWIC and all traffic from WAN B to the second port on the HWIC? Or can I only send all the traffic from Both wan ports to one switch port.

I hope this makes sense

Thanks in Advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

The PC will have default gateway as router address. In turn, router will have default route pointing to the FW in a separate subnet. The second 1841 will have a subnet in common with the first. There are few static routes to set.

All ports on hwic-4esw support Auto-MDIX so any cable will work.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jason,

In short, you can do in more than one way. The thing, is that in IP networking, more that just "plugging this into that" and "send all in there", It's about subnets, addresses, routes and stuff like this. You can do that yourself if you are willing to learn but take some patience.

For example it doesn't seem like it make much sense to connect the ethernet from ISP to the firewall going via the router, as it could connect directly.

So if you can share some more details about you network, subnets, etc, someone can come up with a sensed suggestion.

foxbatreco
Level 3
Level 3

Hii..as far as i understand from ur question, u hv one internet and one p2p link to be terminated on the 1841 rt.wht exactly do u want to achieve frm this ?

We need to have a head router on our network(its a new network). I need to be able to route traffic from the new office across our ISP's network and out to the Internet, and to route traffic from the new office(one end of the p2p) to another office (the other end).

This is all going across our ISP's etherenet solution.

Most likely, the 1841 router must be put inside the firewall. You can for exmple, connect fa0/0 to firewall with a give subnet. Fa0/1 to remote office, another subnet. Do you have a router at the remote office ?

The 4-esw port you can use to connect some of you PC perhaps or just to the switch where all the PC are connected. This one will be a third subnet different from the two above.

Ok that a littel different than waht we were planing. Here are some add'l q's

What would we point the default GW at, the router IP or the Firewall?

Yes we were planning another 1841 at the other office.

When you cable the 4-esw card to the internal switches woudl you use a x-over?

Hi,

The PC will have default gateway as router address. In turn, router will have default route pointing to the FW in a separate subnet. The second 1841 will have a subnet in common with the first. There are few static routes to set.

All ports on hwic-4esw support Auto-MDIX so any cable will work.

Great thanks for your time

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: