cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Someone help - Urgent

PeskyPete
Level 1
Level 1

So this is due in tomorrow, and I have to idea why it wont work.

I was wondering if somebody could fix it, or at least tell me what was wrong with it.

I'm working on PC 21 - PC 17 packet sending.

It will send from router to router but never passed the switches.

Help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8s4l05445fi5ftc

9 Replies 9

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Patrick,

I am not going to solve your homework assignment for you, but a couple of observations that give you a hint what to correct:

• After checking the routing tables on routers SW and WW, only directly connected networks are displayed. Hence, the SW router does not know about the LAN network behind the router WW, and vice versa. This is one of the problems - the routers do not have a complete knowledge about the reachable networks.
  • The S0/0/1 interface is reported as "up, line protocol down" on both routers. Such state means that the interface is, for some reason, unable to carry data. This is another problem - the connection between the routers is not working.
  • The addressing does not seem to be correct - the LAN network on SW overlaps the LAN network on WW.
  • PCs 17 and 21 are using a strangely looking gateway addresses
  • Switch SW has its ports Fa0/1 and Fa0/2 configured in an inappropriate mode

Sorry for deliberately withholding the direct solution but I believe I am not wrong if I believe that you have the desire to be a knowledgeable networker. The ability to recognize and correct errors in a network topology is immensely important and I do not want to rob away from you the opportunity to improve that ability.

Please, feel welcome to discuss your partial solutions here!

Best regards,

Peter

Peter,

He's not your pupil is he? 

Leo,

No, he isn't But it would be REALLY funny if I stumbled across a post of my student trying to find out a solution to a homework I've assigned

Best regards,

Peter

LOL

But it would be REALLY funny if I stumbled across a post of my student trying to find out a solution to a homework I've assigned

HILARIOUS!

Thanks I will give that a go and see what happens.

We have just been kind of thrown in the deep end. Its only one module of my degree, but it really isn't my strong point.

EDIT:

I have just changed the SW Routing table to include its own LAN and it has been a huge improvment allready! Thanks so much for your advice!

I changed the route table

I'm not working on the s0/0/1 part yet

The addressing was done on a VLSM table using the IPs that I was allocated. I really can not see anything wrong with them. While doing it I got no overlapping errors.

I tried to change the default gateway but it just says I can not use the other IPs, it is supposed to be the same IP as the interface connecting the switch with the router though right? That is what I did.

I have looked at everything suggested and it works a bit better now, it will get past the ISP router and onto the SW router (from WW) but it can not get past the SW LAN but then when the packets are going back it wont go past the SW router.

Patrick,

The addressing was done on a VLSM table using the IPs that I was  allocated. I really can not see anything wrong with them. While doing it  I got no overlapping errors.

You do not have a network overlap between directly connected interfaces - a single router would tell you that. However, notice that

• On Router SW, the Fa0/1 is configured as 172.16.1.191/16
  • On Router WW, the Fa0/1 is configured as 172.16.0.129/25

Does this not look like address overlap? Probably the mask on SW Fa0/1 was supposed to be /26 instead of /16.

I tried to change the default gateway but it just says I can not use the  other IPs, it is supposed to be the same IP as the interface connecting  the switch with the router though right?

By saying that the PCs are using strange gateways I wanted to say that both on PC21 and PC17, the default gateway is set to the broadcast address of the network. This cannot be - the default gateway is always the IP address of the router in the particular network. It cannot be a non-existent or unusable (network/broadcast) address.

Changing the routing tables should be probably done using an appropriate routing protocol in this network. You seem to have partially configured OSPF and RIPv2. None of them is completely configured, and you do not need two. I suggest not configuring things using static addressing - this assignment does not look like the correct solution is the static routing.

Best regards,

Peter

Hey thanks for all of your help, I think I have got the majority of it working (I just have to add servers now) However when I try to send some packets its creating an infinate loop. I have edited the file and attached it to this post.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card