Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Standard ACL problem in PT 5

Hello,

I am experiencing some difficulty with a standard ACL in packet tracer 5 and wondered if someone could please explain where I am going wrong, basically the ACL does it's job but it's also filtering other networks not in the ACL on the inbound but not the outbound. I am concerned that perhaps my understanding of the relation between the in and out application of an ACL to an interface may be lacking somehow or that I have missed something important in my studies. I have created a short video and posted it to YouTube going through my steps and what the problem has been. Not sure if this is the place to ask but I am taking the CCNA exam soon and this seems to be the only area of my study that I feel unsure about. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. The link is : http://youtu.be/QH3S--oIWOA

Many Thanks,

Jason      

Jason
1 REPLY

Standard ACL problem in PT 5

Okay so I have been studying all day and I think I have worked this out...help me out here.

The problem I was having is because I wasn't looking at the packets as being either 'inbound' or outbound' I was looking at the interfaces as the inbound/outbound factors (why I can't say). So my packets going out of the network interface (which had the inbound ACL) weren't being filtered because they were literally 'outbound' from the network regardless of the interface orientation so they weren't being examined at all. It didn't matter that the source addresses were right because they weren't coming into the network they were in fact leaving it. That must be why when I applied the ACL as outbound the filtering works properly. I hope I am right here and any comments are much appreciated...

Regards,

Jason

Jason
Views
Helpful
Replies