Views
Helpful
Replies

Starting a new business: need help about networking

tazi44444
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm starting a business in web hosting and ASP(email services and HR services).

I need help about the right architecture for my network. I don't want to buy bandwidth from ISP but I prefer to setup my network.. I will have about 10 servers(2 for DNS, 2 for mail, 1 for LDAP, 1 linux web hosting, 1 IIS server, 1 server for applications) and a SAN storage solution.

I need to setup my network : which router and firewall is the right for my architecture, which switch I need to buy, what is the best architecture for this : rouer, firewall, switch,10 servers.

thanks .

4 Replies 4

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What do you mean you don't want to buy bandwidth from ISP? If you are setting up a business that needs internet connection, you need to connect to ISP. Either you want to build your own network (data centre) you still need to connect to ISP, unless you can afford to connect directly to an IXs or Global Carriers and they allow you to transit to them.

But if you mean you don't want to host your server in an ISP data centre, let me tell you the benefits of hosting your servers in ISP data centre. They have redundant power source, UPS, air-con, 24x7 operator, 24x7 helpdesk, 24x7 monitoring system, 24x7 security, FM 200 fire protection.

You need to contact a system integrator company to provide you the complete architecture so that you get it right the first time.

thanks for your answer.

I mean by not to buy bandwidth from ISP: in fact I would like to connect my network to a Telecom comany who sell for example 20 m/s.

And not a reseller who sell the bandwidth.

Yes, I will have a rack in a datacenter and connect my servers to Level3 for example (20m/s).

how about the router/firewall, switch? whish one i need to buy?

Thanks for your help

Need more info like;

- Topology diagram on how you are going to connect them together. i.e. showing segments for web, apps, database, and storage

- Expected throughput per segment

- Is high availability important to you?

- What are the types of media you are using from servers (GE, FE, UTP, Fibre)?

- What are the types of media you are using for SAN (GE, FE, UTP, Fibre)?

- What SAN you are using (i.e. vendor and model) or planning to purchase?

- What server you are using (i.e. vendor and models) or planning to purchase?

- What kind of connection the Telecom company will provide you (i.e. T3, MetroE, Serial)?

- Will the connection to the Telecom company single or redundant?

- Will you be running BGP or just a default route to the Telecom company?

I may not be the one to give you the solution, but those info requested above will help netpros help you :)

thanks for your rapide reply.

juste one precision:my need will be about your last point. So, what is the best solution and not expensive for Internet connection(for this business web hosting and ASP).

--> Will you be running BGP or just a default route to the Telecom company?

support i would like to implement BGP : what hardware and soft I need to buy?

Or the next solution you propose connection to Telecom comany?who? whish router?

What is the best quality/price solution to chose and why?

For your questions:

availability important =yes

connection to the Telecom company single or redundant=in the fist time single

for SAN we use FC

and for server : Dell PoweEdge1950(2G RAM, with 2,66 GHZ )

thanks lot.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: