cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Static Default Route Destination

Robert Juric
Level 1
Level 1

I have a simple question, when configuring static default route's what should I use as the destination? Should I use the exiting interface, the next direct hop, which would be the service provider's equipment, or should I use MY next router, even though it's a few hops through our MPLS network?

Robert

2 Replies 2

Hi,

When we are configuring static default route better use next hop ip address that will be your immediate neighbor(next hop ip address).If you are using exit interface in multi access ethernet network, it might lead into some minor problem.

Better I suggest that use your immediate next router ip address(The network which is connecting your router and the immediate next remote router).

Regards

Karuppu

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

robert.juric wrote:

I have a simple question, when configuring static default route's what should I use as the destination? Should I use the exiting interface, the next direct hop, which would be the service provider's equipment, or should I use MY next router, even though it's a few hops through our MPLS network?

Robert

Robert

The next direct hop router ie. the next router upstream is the one to use.

If you use the interface then the router will arp out for every destination which is not what you want if you can avoid it. Compare that with the router only having to arp out for the next-hop IP.

You could use your router which is multiple hops away but then you are relying on recursive route lookup for it to work and in the standard case it is far better to just use the next-hop.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: