cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Static IP Issue

Omer ali
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All, I have cisco 2600 series it has ADSL Port, I used to have PPPOE connection and dynamic IP with my provider I had username and password it was working fine, but now I bought a static IP from them, they are telling me you don't need username and password just assign the Static IP to your ATM0/0 port and default routing that is all, but I doubt that because I have to use PPP encapsulation so I have to have PPP either pap or chap authentication it should be like this 

interface Dialer1
 ip address negotiated
 ip mtu 1492
 ip nat outside
 ip virtual-reassembly
 encapsulation ppp
 dialer pool 1
 ppp authentication pap callin
 ppp pap sent-username XXXX@XXX password 0 XXXXX
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

so now, what parameters I should get from them to get this working? is what they are saying right? even I did with no luck.

1 Reply 1

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If your ISP is telling you that you don't need a username/password any longer, it's safe to remove that from the interface. You'd change the address under the dialer interface and change your default route.

Your encapsulation type doesn't require you to have authentication. Just because you have 'encapsulation ppp' doesn't mean that you also have to have authentication for it to work. That's a L2 encapsulation type...

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card