Views
Helpful
Replies

Static ip scenario

050878james
Level 1
Level 1

Hello !!

I have some questions about BRAS and ip address assigment to users.

Let`t say we have the interface below on our BRAS 7200.

interface FastEthernet0/0.10

encapsulation dot1Q 10

ip address 80.80.80.1 255.255.255.0

So the IPDSLAM is connected to this 7200 series router, and all users are in the same vlan. Now how can I assign one ip address for 1 user, and don`t let him use another ip address than one we assigned to him. If he tries to use another one than he should not be able to acces the network.

I know about one isp which did this on the same way, and the best of all is they have not binded ip address to mac address, because their customers can use any router/modem they just want, but they can ONLY use the ip address they are assigned from this isp.

How is this possible ? we will not use PPPoE or PPPoA because this makes many problems for our customers when they need to restart their equipment, the authentication is not allways successfull.

Any idea ? what is the best way to accomplish this goal ??

I`ll not forget the rating !

Thank You

Best regards

17 Replies 17

My friend,

First of all are you an ISP/NSP..?? because if you are then YES, it is possible to perform direct static assignments to end users without the use of ppoe or pppoa. The protocols pppoa/pppoe are only used between the CPE and Telco LAC to uniquely identify users via there username-authentication mapping it to a unique realm, then, this realm is used to identify the upstream ISP that the telco needs to forward packets to the correct L2TP tunnel, or in telco terms is knows as DSL local aggregation.

Now having said all this, there are 2 options: 1) if you ACTUALLY are the ISP and the TECO (NSP) then you would own your own DSLAM meaning you can own every bit of infrastructure between your LNS/core network up to the DSLAM/CPE, which would enable you to easily configure static IP's and a Default gateway without any authentication stacks in your packets designated upstream.

2) if you are NOT the ISP or NSP then

The PC dialer interface would send off a request with the clients username and password. The username

plus the domain name(realm) is what the TECO use to domain route this PPP session to its destination(ie ISP).

ie johnsmith@isp1.com. The domain isp1.com denotes a predefined LNS IP address that the TECO will terminate

this PPP session upon. It is then the responsibility of the ISP to authenticate the user johnsmith or assign it a static ip address via configuring your LNS under vpdn group to map users to static IP.

which are you ??? what is your infrastructure like..??

Steve K

Hello Steve !!

Thank You very much for reply !!

I am the first option, we are the ISP and have around 310 our own IPDSLAM`s. All of our DSLAMS are connected to our (BRAS) Core network Router.

So today we are using PPPoE but will move over to "static ip address assigment", therfore I am asking for god suggestion and ofcourse some "sample" example.

Our IPDSLAM is ZyXel, while whole core network is running on 5 Cisco 7200 Routers, which exchanges BGP.

Any sample example ? I could try ?

Our IPDSLAM`s can only filter on MAC address, but this is not useful option, because users may want to change their modems, or bridge them, than they need to call us for configuring new mac address on the IPDSLAM, so I need an option which can assign static ip address to users without to filter MAC address.

Best regards

Hello again dude,

Could you please provide me an example for your explanation you wrote above on this forum:

"Confirm first that you have set the DLSAM to map individual lines into an individual vlan. Create the subinterface, add the correct vlan ID as encapsulation, assign any IP address and enter static route for the remote, pointing to subinterface. That's it."

I tried but I am not 100 % what you mean with

"enter static route for the remote"

I hope you can provide me an example for this.

Thank You !!

Best regards

James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card