Views
Helpful
Replies

Static Route and Policy Routing

aamircisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone ,

here is a scenario i have two Internet lines. ADSL and Internet Leased Line.

Adsl is configured as Wan1 Interface and ILL is configured as WAN2 interface in my router. i have static and route-map configred as mentioned below.

static route = 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 wan1

Route-map = src(0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0) dst(0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0) port(80,449) gateway(wan2)

i want to know users are getting an internet by which interface (wan1 or wan2) ?. Does route-map takes precedence over static route.

thank you .

regards,

IT

5 Replies 5

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Yes, Policy based routing takes precedence over static or dynamic routes only when match occured. If the statement is marked as permit and packets meet match criteria are all set clauses are applied. If does not meet the match criteria packets are forwarded by normal routing process.

If you want to check you may see your current public IP by using web sites like this:

http://www.whatismyip.com/

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

Hi Abzal,

thank you for you quick reply. yes indeed (http://www.whatismyip.com) shows me ADSL(WAN1) interface IP, but when i do traceroute towards www.google.com or any website it clearly shows it traced through ILL(WAN2) interface IP.

I HOPE YOU WILL HAVE THE SOLUTION OF MY PROBLEM.

regards,

AAMIR

Hi Aamir,

Can you post your router configuration? And explain what are you trying to achieve?

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

Hi Abzal,

i just want to know are users getting an internet thorugh ADSL or ILL by looking at the configuration down below. All these configuration is done on Fortigate Firewall.

static route = 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 wan1

Policy-routing = src(0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0) dst(0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0) port(80,449) gateway(wan2)

regards,

AAMIR

I think it's better to ask on Fortigate's tech forum or their tech support.

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card