glenthms
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking for a solution.

I have two static routes,

ip route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.30.254

and

ip route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 1.1.1.254 200

My issue is this, if the primary WAN interface fails my static route with admin of 1 will stay in place and never dial the backup connection thru the ISDN dialer inteface.

What can I do so that if the primary WAN route of ip route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.30.254 fails, and I want the second route to kick in for backup connectivity?

I'm limited on IOS unfortunately, IOS is c2600-i-mz_121-6.BIN

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try using

ip route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 [interface name]

The route will only be installed if the interface is up/up.

View solution in original post

minumathur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

when you use IP address as default gateway it will take default metric 1 , but when you use serial indiface ( metrix 0 )as gateway it will flow the traffic when interface is up and opernational

i hope this will solve your problem , please rate this post.

-Minu

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try using

ip route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 [interface name]

The route will only be installed if the interface is up/up.

minumathur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

when you use IP address as default gateway it will take default metric 1 , but when you use serial indiface ( metrix 0 )as gateway it will flow the traffic when interface is up and opernational

i hope this will solve your problem , please rate this post.

-Minu

Minu

I believe that you are suggesting that a static route using a next hop will have an Administrative Distance of 1 but a static route using a serial interface will have Administrative Distance of 0. This is commonly believed but it is not true. Both static routes will have Administrative Distance of 1.

I suspect that the issue is that in the original post that the static route is pointing to a next hop address reachable over a LAN interface. In this case there are many situations where the address becomes unreachable but the outbound interface is still up up and therefore the static route remains in the routing table and the floating static route is never activated.

Cisco has supplied a solution for this issue with a feature called Reliable Static Routes with Obect Tracking. Unfortunately that is available in recent versions of IOS but the original post indicates that they are limited to an older version of IOS. I am not aware of a solution to this in the older IOS.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

Could you advise what WAN interface are you using ? If it is not a LAN interface then there should no issue to let the interfac down.

If the interface will not down even the link down and you cannot use object tracking feature. You may enable dynamic routing protocol in the WAN link only. If the WAN down, the routing table of the 192.168.0.0/24 will disappear and the floating static route appear in the routing table.

Hope this helps.

msmhg
Level 1
Level 1

Please check the routing table to see

if there is a route entry for 10.10.30.254(next-hop).

eg, if 10.10.0.0/16 exists in the routing table, the first static route will never go down.

HGL

If 10.10.30.254 is not the remote host IP. Please configure the static route to point to the remote next-hop IP.

Hope this helps.

More details,

The WAN interface is frame relay with point to point subinterface. I did as the first post suggested to route out the interface vs the next hop. I shut down the subinterface and the routing table in fact had removed the static route and ISDN backup router with admin of 254 kicked in and worked. So I see this as a valid solution unless some other solution exists that I am not aware of. Thanks for all your posts.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card