Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Static route needs to point next hop?

I've heard many arguments on this, when configuring a static route, what is recommended for the next hop to be:

a)local egress interface

b)next hop IP address

What are some of the the consequences of using some remote hop (hops away) as a next hop on a static route, like I said everyone seems to have different opinions, thanks to all.

7 REPLIES

Re: Static route needs to point next hop?

The route should point to the next hop. If you point it out the interface it will ARP to find where to send packets. More work and traffic than needed. Same goes for "remote hops".

HTH and please rate.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Borman

Collin's comment is correct for LAN type interfaces and not correct for point to point interfaces. If the outbound interface is a point to point interface I do not see any disadvantage to specifying the static route with outbound interface and I have seen a few situations where it was a benefit to do so.

In a LAN interface it is generally best to specify the next hop instead of specifying the outbound interface. Of course it is possible to combine both and configure a static route which specifies both the outbound interface and the next hop. By doing this you control the next hop and the interface used to get to the next hop.

HTH

Rick

Rick-

So the router will not ARP at all on a P2P link? Is that the router (from the subnet mask) or the media?

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Collin

It is the media. P2P (HDLC, PPP) does not have an ARP mechanism and does not need one since there can be one and only one device connected there is no need to resolve the layer 2 address to use in the packet (resolving the layer 2 address to use in the packet is the purpose of ARP).

So if no ARP then there is no adverse aspect in configuring a static route specifying the outbound interface when the interface is P2P.

HTH

Rick

Makes sense, I guess that's why you have the green star!

If u r are using static route ,u should use next hop ip address(Serial interface).

Hi there,

Formerly in the WAN case it was recommended to use the egress interface, in order for the route to be removed from the routing table when the interface goes down, and this is not what happen if using next-hop ip. Removing the route from the routing table if interface goes down is very useful when using floating static routes, my understanding is that this is not a constrain since IOS 12.3, can anyone comment on me.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content