Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

static route to /13 subnet or eigrp route to /24 subnet,

Hello,

Hopefully someone can clarify this point. The best path to a network will be a EIGRP learned, more specific route (/24), or a static route to a least specific network ( /13).

I thought it was the more specify match...but am not sure. I cannot see the static routes in the routing table or as feasible sucesssors in the topology table......I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks

2 REPLIES

Re: static route to /13 subnet or eigrp route to /24 subnet,

Hi,

Both routes will appear in the routing table, but the more specific route will always win for destinations within that /24.

If the static route is not appearing in the routing table, check the next hop address for a typo. There must be a valid routing table entry to get to the next hop address - either connected or learned.

Foeh

Silver

Re: static route to /13 subnet or eigrp route to /24 subnet,

In your case the longest match will win. THe longest match is /24. This is because the administrative distance for a routing protocol is not used unless two routes are matched. That is if you have a static /24 and EIGRP /24 to the same subnet the router will use the lower administrative distance which is the static. In your case it is different,

Please rate if the post helped you,

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content