cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Static route

ssweehin
Level 1
Level 1

The connection between side A and side B has 3 routers (router A, router B and router C). Currently, there is a problem to do the network load balancing so that most of the network traffic will go through router A and B from side A to side B. However, the router A and router B are not able to handle so much network traffic during peak peroid. If divert the network traffic from router A and router B to router C by using static route, will be useful? or it will create 1 more hop to slow down the network performance?

8 Replies 8

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please add a toplogy diagram for better understa nding of your problem.

-amit singh

Here u go...

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

How are you load-balancing right now between the sites. If you are using the static routes load-balancing then you can add another static route and achieve the load-balancing. I would suggest to use OSPF/EIGRP routing protocol to achieve auto-matci load-balancing between the sites. EIGRP will specifically give you more granular control as you can load-balance among the links with variable bandwidth.

HTH,

-amit singh

temporarily, we do not decide to use the load balancing right now. What i concern is if we add static route on router A and router B to divert the traffic for certain IP to router C, will it slow down the traffic?

Hi,

There is no direct connection from router A or B to router C. Hence I doubt, how would u add a static route from router A/B pointing to C.

Ya, you can configure static routes for diff destination n/ws pointing to router A/B/C. f.e. if there are total 6 destn n/w, u can config two static routes for 2 destination n/w to each of the routers A,B & C.

The diagram that i provided is not so clear. That is why u didn't see the link between router A, B, C.

If configure stactic routes from router A and B point to router C, will it slow down the performance?

Hi,

If u config static route from A/B to C, then it will create extra hop only. Because both of these routers can reach side A/B directly and no need to send traffic to router C and then to side A/B. In this case, it may slow down traffic because of extra hop.

Ya, I agree with u at this point. However, the router A and router B are unable to handle so many network traffic during peak period. Any suggestion resolve this problem?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card