Views
Helpful
Replies

Static Routes Questions

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all, hope everyone is well !!

I have a couple questions regarding static routes, hope someone can help. Thanks in advance !!!

1 - Let's say I have a local static default route of 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 pointing to 192.168.1.1 and a default learned route. What happen when 192.168.1.1 is NOT reachable ? Will the default learned route become active dynamically ? I believe this is the default behavior but I could be wrong.

2 - Let's say I have 2 static routes to the same destination network but each pointing to different next hop IP (see example below). Will the router know to load balance traffic across dynamically ?

Example:

ip route 172.16.1.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.10.20

ip route 172.16.1.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.11.20

Thanks in advance !!!

Danny

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1. your learned route will have a higher admin distance and will not have preference over your locally defined static route with admin distance 1.

2. if there are multiple paths to the same destination, with equal admin distance and equal metrics, only the will traffic be load balanced  

check this out:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/border-gateway-protocol-bgp/5212-46.html

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1. your learned route will have a higher admin distance and will not have preference over your locally defined static route with admin distance 1.

2. if there are multiple paths to the same destination, with equal admin distance and equal metrics, only the will traffic be load balanced  

check this out:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/border-gateway-protocol-bgp/5212-46.html

Hi Dennis and thanks for your reply !!!

For my question 1. So if the next hope of the local defined static route is not reachable then the default learned route will dynamically go active correct ? just want to re-confirm.

Thanks for sharing the link !!!!

Danny

yes, so If you have a default route distributed through for instance OSPF, it will have an admin distance of 110 and will kick in next

Cool, thanks Dennis !!!

Danny

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card