Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

static routing.....

very simple & very very silly question....

what's the logic in having a static route up if you have not valid adj?

I mean static routes are up even if i have no a valid L2 next-hop available (physical link up but logical down on other side, due to misconfiguration or stuff like that i don't know)....why for eth. and static routing there's not some mechanism for putting down a route (maybe after some time) if i haven't got a right L2 adj?

of course without using bfd, ip sla or stuff like that...

thx

Das

2 REPLIES

Re: static routing.....

Hi Das,

if you're talking about a network, where every destination can be reached through redundant L3-Links, then you're right.

But let's assume, there is a L2-Subnet, which can only be reached through one L3-device. Or you have a stub router, which only needs one route to reach every other destination. In this case, a static route would be appropriate. It wouldn't help to bring the route down in case of link-failure, because there is no other way to this subnet.

Hth,

Sebastian

Re: static routing.....

Hi Sebastian,

yes of course....but just figure a topology like this:

MLS1(VLAN10) -->A_MLS2(VLAN10)-->something

-->B_L3(Dot1Q10)-->something

-->C_MLS4(VLAN10)-->something

and some redundant route pointing towards from MLS1 trought A-B-C for reaching 'something'....and maybe having CEF(trie)/adj stuff....why having 'valid' route and not a valid adj and loosing packet?

I may add keyword permanent if i want a useless route for any reason. could be useful in ethernet env, maybe not for other media type/tecnology.

thx

Das

Views
Helpful
Replies