cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Static vs BGP Learned route

cssla.com
Level 1
Level 1

I will be adding a 2nd ISP as a failover to an establshed config. Current setup uses BGP but I am NOT getting default 0.0.0.0 from the provider. I use static ip route 0.0.0.0 ... to get the traffic out. The failover provider IS going to send me 0.0.0.0/0. Question is will the static prevail over the BGP learned route or will I need to modify AD on static or weight the new neighbor? (Or in it's base form, which is preferred, static or BGP?)(Or, how do you equate AD which prefers lower # to weight which prefers higher #?!)

I had originally thought about filtering out the default and using IP SLA, but would like to keep it simple if possible. I could also try to get ISP 1 to send default, but he's one of the big boys and I'd like to get this done in the next few days.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

cssla.com wrote:

I will be adding a 2nd ISP as a failover to an establshed config. Current setup uses BGP but I am NOT getting default 0.0.0.0 from the provider. I use static ip route 0.0.0.0 ... to get the traffic out. The failover provider IS going to send me 0.0.0.0/0. Question is will the static prevail over the BGP learned route or will I need to modify AD on static or weight the new neighbor? (Or in it's base form, which is preferred, static or BGP?)(Or, how do you equate AD which prefers lower # to weight which prefers higher #?!)

I had originally thought about filtering out the default and using IP SLA, but would like to keep it simple if possible. I could also try to get ISP 1 to send default, but he's one of the big boys and I'd like to get this done in the next few days.

Thanks

The static route you have configured will take precedence because it will have the lowest AD, which sounds like what you want.

Jon

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

cssla.com wrote:

Thanks

The static route you have configured will take precedence because it will have the lowest AD, which sounds like what you want.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card