Helpful
Replies

Stop a route from being advertised via BGP

graham smart
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Quick Q

I have BGP running ontop of my OSPF igp.

Now..

OSPF is advertising its loopback and uplink routes to the network and BGP advertises connected and static routes.

Because BGP is advertising the same loopback and uplink IP's as OSPF, i get RIB failures in the BGP routing table for those ranges.

This doesnt cause an issue because OSPF has the routes as expected.

But for neatness id like to block a few routes from being advertised via BGP..

Whats the best way to do this? / Best practise for this?

Or shall I just live with 3 routes in my BGP table downstream that are rib failures?

Obviously its pointless having them in BGP anyway as if OSPF dies BGP would also so its not like theres any resillience here.

Thoughts?

-G

-Graham
Please note: My comments are simply suggestions. I cannot be held liable for any loss of data, life or marbles due to following my instructions.

Got a website? Need some live chat software?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Graham,

This is merely to remove them from the BGP table as rib failures annoy me  

Well, in that case, if there is no point in having these networks advertised in BGP at all, I suggest not injecting them into BGP in the first place. If you are injecting them via the network command then simply remove it from appropriate routers. If you are using redistribution, use route-maps to select which networks should be redistributed into BGP.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Graham,

My personal opinion: Having routes in BGP marked as rib-failure is quite normal if you perform redistribution from OSPF into BGP, making the BGP basically carry the same set of routes as OSPF. Filtering them out is possible on various stages - you could prevent these routes from being redistributed into BGP in the first place (which would be the best thing to do), or you could filter them out using prefix-lists or other filtering mechanisms on a per-neighbor basis.

However, please note that if you have an eBGP peering with other ASes and you prevent these "offending" routes from being injected into BGP, you will not be able to advertise them to other ASes, as they won't be advertised via BGP at all.

So removing these routes from BGP and not having them marked as rib-failures depends on what your routing policy actually is. It may be a bit offensive to the general sense of network aesthetics (as Jeff Doyle would eloquently put it ) but in case of external BGP peerings, it is necessary - and tolerated.

I hope Milan Kulik and other BGP gurus will offer their own views on this issue!

Best regards,

Peter

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I have the main supernets configured on our border routers so the ranges still get advertised externally ( even though these ranges would never be connected to via an external AS )

-Graham

-Graham
Please note: My comments are simply suggestions. I cannot be held liable for any loss of data, life or marbles due to following my instructions.

Hi Graham,

Well, in that case, if there is no point in having these networks advertised in BGP at all, I suggest not injecting them into BGP in the first place. If you are injecting them via the network command then simply remove it from appropriate routers. If you are using redistribution, use route-maps to select which networks should be redistributed into BGP.

Best regards,

Peter

Currently its picking the routes up because of the redistribute-connected & static ( Got loads of other connected networks etc that need to be in bgp )

Ive setup a prefix-list to control these now so they have gone.

Thanks for your time

At least I know im not being completely stupid wanting to get these off my BGP table. Must be my "OCD" coming out.

-Graham

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your time

You are sincerely welcome!

At least I know im not being completely stupid wanting to get these off my BGP table. Must be my "OCD" coming out. 

Oh, don't worry about that I know the feeling myself

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card