cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stop redistributing static when link down EIGRP

jrichterkessing
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 2901 routers installed at a business partner location, on the WAN side of the routers one connects to my corporate MPLS cloud, the other connects to a point-to-point circuit with one of my regional offices. On each router I am running EIGRP, redistributing static routes that point to the business partners networks (I have an offset list on the router connected to the point-to-point circuit to raise the routing metric so it is not preferred). On the LAN side of the router I am running HSRP between them giving the HSRP standby address to the business partner to route to coming back to us.

I have been testing some failover scenerios and one that I can't seem to find an answer to is if the LAN side of one of the routers goes down, it still advertises the static routes out to it's EIGRP neighbors. Is there any way to track the gateway address of the routes and if it becomes unresponsive then stop advertising the static routes? The ASAs seem to have a good mechanism for tracking this very thing, I'm just not finding anything for these routers.

Thanks....Jeff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jeff

If you use the approach in this post then you would  need a separate tracking instance for each static route. I have  implemented tracking with a slightly different approach and believe that  one instance of tracking could be used for multiple static routes. My  approach looks somewhat like this (note that the syntax may vary  somewhat depending on platform and version of code)

ip sla 1
icmp-echo 10.254.254.13 source-ip 10.254.254.12
ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now

track 1 ip sla 1 reachability
delay down 180 up 180
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.254.254.13 track 1

In our case we wanted to delay by 180 seconds to avoid flapping but you might not want to do that.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can use tracking for this.

Something like:

track 1 ip route reachability

Your static route references this. As long as the route is available, the static route stays in the table.

ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.2.1 track 1

You would have to lose the complete route for this to work though.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Thanks John.....I made a little progress I think but I still don't have something quite right. I though I had it with the config below, I was able to get the track to come up for about 30sec or so then it went down again without changing anything....not sure why, I haven't been able to get it working again. Do you see anything incorrect with this? In the track statement I've tried the gateway (10.58.56.1/29) with the same result.....I thought it would be the gateway address in the route but I have never gotten that to come up and work....I can ping the 10.58.56.1 address from the router.

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
description To-->BusinessPartner
ip address 10.58.56.6 255.255.255.248
standby 72 ip 10.58.56.4
standby 72 priority 110
standby 72 preempt
duplex auto
speed auto

track 11 ip route 10.58.56.6 255.255.255.248 reachability

ip route 10.3.0.0 255.255.0.0 10.58.56.1 track 11

ROUTER2#show track
Track 11
  IP route 10.58.56.6 255.255.255.248 reachability
  Reachability is Down (no route)
    1 change, last change 18:55:07
  First-hop interface is unknown
  Tracked by:
    STATIC-IP-ROUTING 0

I think I may have figured it out.....I'd like for it to track the next hop gateway but I don't think tracking was designed for that....at least I can't get it to work that way.

The below config seems to be working, I just need to set up tracking instances for each static route I have:

track 1 ip route 10.3.0.0 255.255.0.0 reachability

ip route 10.3.0.0 255.255.0.0 10.58.56.1 track 1

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Jeff

Jeff

If you use the approach in this post then you would  need a separate tracking instance for each static route. I have  implemented tracking with a slightly different approach and believe that  one instance of tracking could be used for multiple static routes. My  approach looks somewhat like this (note that the syntax may vary  somewhat depending on platform and version of code)

ip sla 1
icmp-echo 10.254.254.13 source-ip 10.254.254.12
ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now

track 1 ip sla 1 reachability
delay down 180 up 180
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.254.254.13 track 1

In our case we wanted to delay by 180 seconds to avoid flapping but you might not want to do that.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Richard....that was EXACTLY what I was looking for. I just started looking at the SLA config when I saw your reply.

John and Richard...thank you very much for your replies.

Jeff

I am glad that our suggestions pointed you in the right direction. Thank you for marking this question as answered. It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and can know that a solution was found. Your marking has contributed to this process.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: