Views
Helpful
Replies

strange **ERROR** on isdn

alalli
Level 2
Level 2

Hi All,

I am having some problems on an ISDN link that dials into our main office.

The router dials out, but I am not seeing the call come in at the central office.

Attached is a text file showing the basic config and the output from debug isdn standard.

thanks in advance for any help. :)

26 Replies 26

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

also run a 'debug isdn q931'

this will show us some behind the scenes isdn operation.

how about show us the isdn interface configs as well.

Hi,

Please find the debug isdn q931 and q921. It is strange that they are not showing much and makes me really believe that my problem is with the remote router.

The central router is working for other sites that dial in as well.

I have also ran the configuration through output interpretor with no errors. A few warnings, but no errors. I have changed the IP addresses and the passwords on the configuraion.

I keep comming up with that weird **Error**. I havent seen it before and think this is a real hint.

thanks very much for your help.

rgodden
Level 3
Level 3

on the central router , use the isdn test call int bri x/x command onto its own number and see if this works. what type of router at central and what isdn cards ?

While I agree that running debug isdn q931 is frequently good and may give helpful information, I believe that the debug that was posted does show that there is an incoming call. The debug that I would be particularly interested in would be debug ppp authentication. I suspect that there is an authentication problem - especially because I do not see any authentication configured in the partial config that was posted.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi and thanks very much for your reply. I took the authentication out of the previous config just to narrow down potential prospects.

When I run debug ppp events, authentication, and negotiatiion.... I am not getting output. Also, when I run debug ISDN at the central site, I can see that the call is not making it back to the central office. The router tries to dial out, but it is not successful in making it past the first ISDN switch as the debug q921 shows on another reply.

I ran the config past the output interpretor tool this morning with no reported errors as well. hmmm.... not sure what to do at this point. I might pass this one onto our lead engineer who will hopefully log a TAC case.

Thanks again for all of your help.

I am surprised that you are not getting any output from debug ppp negotiation, ppp authentication, or ppp events. I thought that the original debug did indicate an incoming call. Perhaps the output of debug isdn q931 would be more helpful that I had thought.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for that. I ran debug q931 again and then added ppp neg. Didnt see much come through for ppp negotiation though.

please see attached.

a

Thanks for posting the additional information. There is quite a bit of debug enabled and very little debug output which I thought was strange. So I went back to the information that you had posted before and took a closer look at the show tech that you posted. I found this in the output:

BRI unit 0:

Layer 1 is DEACTIVATED. (ISDN L1 State F3)

This indicates that there is a problem with the BRI circuit. Can you check this out and let us know what you find?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

I checked the central router and it is receiving calls from other routers.

I also reconfigured this remote router to dial our other central router with identical problems and the strange error message.

Thanks very much for your reply.

sarenner
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure which debug you have turned on, but "debug isdn Q931" would be more helpful. This will show you the actuall ISDN messages that are being passed between the router and central office and give you a better idea where the failure is happening.

hi,

the output of debug isdn q931 for you here.

i have had a look and it seems like the router is not bringing up the layer one interface.

it is all very strange.

thanks very much for your help

It does appear that there is a problem with the BRI. If you post the output of show isdn status it might help to confirm this.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks,

Here is the output you requested.

C

Access to this computer system is restricted to authorised personnel only.

Terminate this session immediately if this system has been accessed in error.

You are warned

a) that unautherised access to or modification of information held in this

computer system, and/or

b) unauthorised copying of software, will render you liable to civil damages

and/or criminal penalties in Australia and other countries; and

c) that all sessions on this computer system are monitored, logged and

recorded.

By continuing with this session you represent and warrent that you are

authorised to access this computer system.

Contact a member of CSC Network and Comms in Australia on

+61-(0)8-9420-3090 if you need assistance with your host.

User Access Verification

Username: peterc

rtph101>en

Password:

rtph101#show isdn status

Global ISDN Switchtype = basic-net3

ISDN BRI0/0 interface

dsl 0, interface ISDN Switchtype = basic-net3

Layer 1 Status:

DEACTIVATED

Layer 2 Status:

Layer 2 NOT Activated

Layer 3 Status:

0 Active Layer 3 Call(s)

Active dsl 0 CCBs = 0

The Free Channel Mask: 0x80000003

Total Allocated ISDN CCBs = 0

rtph101#term mon

rtph101#show ip int brief | include Dialer1

Dialer1 10.162.0.5 YES NVRAM up up

rtph101#ping 10.62.0.6

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.62.0.6, timeout is 2 seconds:

Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

rtph101#show isdn status

Global ISDN Switchtype = basic-net3

ISDN BRI0/0 interface

dsl 0, interface ISDN Switchtype = basic-net3

Layer 1 Status:

DEACTIVATED

Layer 2 Status:

Layer 2 NOT Activated

Layer 3 Status:

0 Active Layer 3 Call(s)

Active dsl 0 CCBs = 0

The Free Channel Mask: 0x80000003

--More--

Layer1 does not come up.

Hi all,

Show dialer output:

Jun 26 08:26:30 WAST: BR0/0 DDR: rotor dialout [best] least recent failure is al

so most recent failure

Jun 26 08:26:30 WAST: BR0/0 DDR: rotor dialout [best] also has most recent failu

re

Jun 26 08:26:30 WAST: BR0/0 DDR: rotor dialout [best]

Jun 26 08:26:30 WAST: BR0/0 DDR: Dialing cause ip (s=10.162.0.5, d=10.162.0.6)

Jun 26 08:26:30 WAST: BR0/0 DDR: Attempting to dial 0894279500.....

Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

rtph101#

Jun 26 08:27:00 WAST: BRI0/0: wait for isdn carrier timeout, call id=0x8032

Jun 26 08:27:00 WAST: DDR: Dialing failed, 5 packets unqueued and discarded

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card