Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange issues - password recovery for 6524

Hi,

I've a 6524 (ME-C6524GT-8S) with IOS version 12.2(18)ZU2.

Today I made 5 times the procedure for password recovery and I've noticed that, after the command "copy startup-config running-config", the L3 interfaces (virtual and physical) and L2 trunk interfaces are always set to "Administratively down" status .

Obviously these interfaces are in "no shutdown" mode in the startup-config.

When I noticed that, I reload the device and after that, these interfaces came up.

Is it a bug or a normale behaviour?

Thanks

antonio

2 Replies 2

simontibbitts
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Antonio.

This is normal behaviour on all Cisco IOS as when you do a 'copy start run' the startup config is MERGED with the running configuration.

The running config has 'shutdown' under each interface and as the startup configuration does NOT have 'no shutdown' under the interface then it doesn't bring the interface up.

It has always been this way for everytime I have done a password recovery. I am not aware of any workarounds to change this.

It is a strage behaviour I agree as IOS normally goes along the lines that if a command is default it is not shown in the configuration. However the exception is 'shutdown' under an interface as this is default but still shown in the config whereas 'no shutdown' is not.

I think you will just have to get used to 'no shutting' each interface everytime you do a 'copy start run'

Hope that helps.

Simon

Hi Simon,

there's configure replace command available in latest IOS - see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/fundamentals/configuration/guide/cf_config-rollback_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1076345

for details.

But I'm not sure is this command is available for 6524 (ME-C6524GT-8S) with IOS version 12.2(18)ZU2 already.

BR,

Milan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card