Views
Helpful
Replies

Stuck static route in Cisco 7206

ramcm.rr
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Friends,

I have a Cisco 7206VXR (NPE-G2) router which runs  IOS Version 12.4(15)T13, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3).

The problem is at times it has stuck static routes in it which wont go away even when the link is down. So the backup wont come up and the site is hard down.

I cannot remove the static route from the routing table. Does anyone know how to remove the route or fix this problem?

Thanks,

Ram

9 Replies 9

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ram

Is it possible that the static route is configured using the permanent parameter?

It might be helpful if you would post the part of the config in which the static route is configured.

Can you clarify what is happening. When you say that the link is down do you just mean that there is no connectivity over the link or do you mean that the interface is actually in a protocol down state?

It might be helpful if you would post the output of show ip route and the output of show ip interface brief and indicate which static route is the problem one.

It is a standard behavior of static routes using an Ethernet interface that there can be no connectivity to neighbor devices through the Ethernet interface but a static route using the Ethernet will still be in the routing table. You might look into using Object Tracking or IP SLA to address this issue.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for your reply.

I dont have a permanent parameter. I learn the static route through ipsec tunnel. But when the tunnel goes down, the static route should go away.

It works fine for 99% of the time. Once a while the static route is stuck in the routing table and wont go away

Router#show ip route 10.200.55.0
Routing entry for 10.200.55.0/27
  Known via "static", distance 1, metric 0
    Routing Descriptor Blocks:
      Route metric is 0, traffic share count is 1

Router#ping 10.200.55.1

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.200.55.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

Router#show crypto ipsec sa peer 95.193.24.108

Router#

( tunnel is down)

Currently we reboot the router to fix this.

Ram

This information helps a bit and leads me to a few more questions:

- it looks like the static route is configured with the peer as the next hop address. so could you post the output of show ip route 95.193.24.108?

- if the router believes that the next hop is still reachable then the static route will remain in the routing table.

- can you ping from the router to 95.193.24.108?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Im guessing its some IOS problem.

Router#sh crypto isakmp sa | include 95.193.24.108
Router#ping 95.193.24.108

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 95.193.24.108, timeout is 2 seconds:
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)
Router#sh ip route 95.193.24.108
% Network not in table

Thanks,

Ram

Ram

This additional information is also helpful. If 95.193.24.108 is not in the routing table then what is in the routing table? Can you post the output of show ip route. It might also be helpful if you would post the output of traceroute 95.193.24.108.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Here is the detail about the bug

Enhancement Request:- CSCsr60864
Please check this Link to see the Enhancement:
Appreciate our help!

Ram

Thank you for posting back to the forum with this information. It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and can also read about what solved the problem. Perhaps you could mark this issue as solved so that people would know that they could see a solution to the problem?

So was your static route generated via RRI, as the bug suggests, or was it something a bit different.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

is'nt that route there even if vpn is down to ensure that

outgoing traffic to the remote site triggers ipsec tunnel creation ?

I have had that problem also but was not sure wether its a bug or a feature.

Juergen.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card