cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

subinterfaces question

bellocarico
Level 1
Level 1

I've successfully created 2 subinterfaces for my serial 0 interface.

Now, I'd like to understand 2 things I'm missing about subinterfaces.

A)

Why, if do:

no interface serial 0.1

no interface serial 0.2

I can still see them but in "deleted" status?

Can I get the rid of them at all?

B) Let's say I've got a subinterface 0.1 point-to-point working fine.

Now, I'd like to switch it to multipoint. keeping all the other settings such as ip address and so on.

Can I just type:

interface serial 0.1 multipoint

or do I have to delete/recreate it from scratch?

Regards

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

regarding A) - this is normal behaviour. You can only get rid of them completely after a reboot.

regarding B) - NO, because the interface type can not be changed. You could delete the interface, but according to A) it is still there as deleted and has still the type point-to-point. The two possibilities you have is either to take another subinterface number or to reload the router after deleting the subinterface.

Hope this helps

Martin

View solution in original post

Hello,

you need to reboot the router in order to be able to use the same subinterface with a different link type). That is, once you typed ´no interface serial0.1´, you cannot configure the interface as e.g. multipoint. The router will give you the following message:

SERIAL-1-COM5(config)#int s0.1 multipoint

% Warning: cannot change link type

So, reboot the router and recreate the subinterface.

HTH,

GP

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

regarding A) - this is normal behaviour. You can only get rid of them completely after a reboot.

regarding B) - NO, because the interface type can not be changed. You could delete the interface, but according to A) it is still there as deleted and has still the type point-to-point. The two possibilities you have is either to take another subinterface number or to reload the router after deleting the subinterface.

Hope this helps

Martin

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

Hope this helps

Martin

Hello,

you need to reboot the router in order to be able to use the same subinterface with a different link type). That is, once you typed ´no interface serial0.1´, you cannot configure the interface as e.g. multipoint. The router will give you the following message:

SERIAL-1-COM5(config)#int s0.1 multipoint

% Warning: cannot change link type

So, reboot the router and recreate the subinterface.

HTH,

GP

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card