Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

subnet ignored while creating aggregate-address in BGP

Hi,

does anybody know a way how to ignore one subnet when creating an aggregate-address in BGP?

I need to create aggregate-address 172.16.0.0/12 when receiving some more specific subnets via IGP.

But I've got a directly connected 172.30.1.0/24. So the aggregate-address 172.16.0.0/12 is created all the time.

I have not found any aggregate-address command options how to handle this :-(

Thanks,

Milan

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: subnet ignored while creating aggregate-address in BGP

Hello Milan,

I'm afraid you are right in command reference there is an advertise-map option but it can be used only to modify some BGP attributes of the aggregate advertisement.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute/command/reference/irp_bgp1.html#wp1011467

so or you able to re-address the link with a subnet that is in a different major network or you should look at a different solution to generate the prefix.

I haven't tried, but I wonder if using reliable static routing with object tracking could be used for a static to null0.

so that a BGP network command could be removed if the static to null0 is removed when tracked objects fail.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3x/12_3xe/feature/guide/dbackupx.html#wp1071672

this should be tested in a lab.

or BGP conditional advertising if there is a way to use it for this scenario.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Re: subnet ignored while creating aggregate-address in BGP

Hi Giuseppe,

thanks for confirmation I was not missing any simple way of using just aggregate-address command.

I was still hoping my understanding of advertise-map option was wrong and it could somehow exclude particular subnets from the process of the aggregated prefix creation.

(Which is IMHO a good idea and Cisco might have included this to the IOS.)

Static routing with object tracking might be the way, but I don't want to use Ping as the tracking tool.

I remember we were using OSPF routing table for HSRP tracking in the past somewhere.

I need to search my archive.

It might be possible to use one prefix presence in BGP table as a track for static route possibly?

So far I was thinking about conditional advertising, but my design is so complex I was not able to find a solution fulfilling all requests (as the same subnet received from a peering neighbor must be accepted as preferred under some conditions).

But another idea just came to my mind:

BGP conditional advertising with two /13 replacing one /12.

As longest match wins, this might work!

I'm going to test this idea in my lab.

Sometimes just trying to explain your problem to other guys brings you ideas :-))

Thanks,

Milan

Views
Helpful
Replies