cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Suggestion for Edge router

paarlberg
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking the following options. We want to be able to handle 500mbps-1gbps routed before we have to upgrade. Would like to be able to upgrade modules to increase the capabilities. Looking at a budget of $5k-7.5k per edge device. Of course this would be used equipment.

12000 GSR8/40

1x GSR8/40 chassis

2x CSC-8

2x GRP-B

2x GE-SX/LH-SC

1x 8FE-TX-RJ45

3x SFC

Dual AC power

or

6505/9

Sup 1A

similar port configs

We don't need port density as we have core switches to handle that, we will uplink from them to the edge. We run eBGP and OSPF on our edge routers. Currently only receiving default routes from our upstreams.

We had considered 2821 routers, but found that the wirespeed doesn't apply to the GigE ports.

Any suggestions, other options to consider? We want to balance performance with cost. The 6500 might be better as we can upgrade the sup in the future to handle higher performance. The 8/40 is somewhat limited, but we don't want to use an 8 foot rack per GSR16/80. We may need to connect to 10GE dark fibre in the future, so we want our options open. However, that shouldn't be an immediate requirement and we can address that at a later time.

We are expanding our datacentre to over 200 servers in the next 12 months. We have just started migrating from 2 other colo facilities so our current routers can handle the spikes to 40mbps or so.

Thanks,

David

2 Replies 2

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I don't think 5 - 7.5 K$ will let you buy what you described.

You can look into the 3750 L3 switches that have a good price/performance, and are easily upgradable in stack.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Here is the pricing I have.. The GSR 8/40 had limited upgrade options, so I have dropped that from the list.

1x GSR8/40 Single AC (Qty 3 SFC, Qty 1 CSC-8)

1x CSC-8 (Qty 1 already installed)

2x GRP-B (256Mb/20Mb)

2x GE-SX/LH-SC (256Mb)

1x 8FE-TX-RJ45

Total $2964

Cisco 6506

1 x WS-C6506

1 x WS-X6348-RJ-45

1 x WS-X6K-S2-MSFC2

2 x WS-CAC-1000AC (or similar)

total $2800-3000

I am going the 6506 route as it is upgradable and should do everything I will need without an issue in the next 12-18 months before upgrading the SUP. The colo cage next to me has a similar config (different ports) and is pushing 1.2gbps thru its 6506.

At this price, I really can't consider anything else. The vendor is my current Cisco equipment provider so there is a good working relationship and trust level.

Thanks for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: