Views
Helpful
Replies

Suggestions Required for OSPF Implementation

Mayank Nauni
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have two Data Centers (Active and Standby Setup); only one data center remains active for the clients connecting to us via MPLS. The challenge before us is that one of our clients is asking for redundant setup i.e. the client wants his routers to be placed at both DCs and he would need OSPF between his end and our data centers; to achieve the mentioned setup, we’ll be required to configure OSPF between the DCs, however the catch is that owing to the active standby design there are numerous SVI with same IP addresses at either ends, can we configure OSPF in such scenarios without having to bring down the duplicate SVIs at the secondary data center? How do we go ahead with this implementation?

I tried doing this in the lab and was able to run OSPF (with same IP addresses on either ends) between both of the DCs, but I am afraid that this could create problems for us in future, looking forward for suggestions on this.

Regards,
Mayank Nauni

-Regards,
Mayank Nauni
CCIE#48541
Cisco Champion 2019
2 Replies 2

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Using SVIs with same ip is a problem however you can use same ip subnet on both dc and make one preferred of the other using ospf cost

Also try to use different ip on the second dc svi

HTH

gfcisco31
Level 1
Level 1

Hi mate..

It would be good if you could share a diagram but...

YOu might start getting LSA errors about new prefix being added/removed from the database for example.  Besided that it would work similar as anycast, it would prefer the closest path for a particular prefix, but talking about ospf we have AREAS so we need to be concerned about the preference over the inter/intra area routes...

INTRA AREA > INTER AREA > EXTERNAL TYPE 1 > EXTERNAL type 2

so, if you have a good AREA design, i think you wont run into bigger issues.

lastly, having a good area design, you should use IP COST in some interfaces to manipulate the primary path you are willing to use.

RUn a lab using GNS3 for example and watch the behaviours of OSPF to be prepared when running it into the real thing.

i hope this helps

Please, rate useful posts

GFC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: