cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switches

prabhmitkaur
Level 1
Level 1

What is a Catalyst Switch? Why called catalyst? What are the features that makes a Catalyst switch different from an ordinary Layer-2 Switch? Do layer-3 switches are IP based or are still MAC based? Is using a layer-3 switch and the router solves the same purpose? How to decide which one to choose for our network? Which is preffered?

2 Replies 2

vladrac-ccna
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

I'll give you partial answers (hopefully helpfull).

Is using a layer-3 switch and the router solves the same purpose?

layer3 switches act like routes and switches at the same time, they can do routing and switching in hardware which makes them more efficient.

Do layer-3 switches are IP based or are still MAC based? they use both, IP for routing and MAC for switching.

How to decide which one to choose for our network? Which is preffered?

If you have the money for it, choose layer3 catalyst, more powerfull devices, faster routing and you can have all in 1 device (switching and routing and more).

"The major difference between the packet switching operation of a router and that of a Layer 3 switch is the physical implementation. In general-purpose routers, packet switching takes place using a microprocessor, whereas a Layer 3 switch performs this using application specific integrated circuit (ASIC) hardware."

these devices are called MLS , multilayer switches.

"The series: 1200, 1600, 1700, 2000, 2100, 2800, 29xx are mostly end user switches to which computers are connected. The 3000, 35xx, 37xx, 40xx 45xx, 5xxx, 6xxx are more found as core switches as they have more features than normal switches. They can integrate a Layer 3 functionality giving them a basic routing feature, useful to communicate between vlans. The 10000 switch family is considered an edge device, having many functionalities that can be built as the device is very modular.

"

And for the Catalyst, I dont know why they are called this way.

Hope this help,

if it does I'd appreciate if you'd rate this post.

Vlad

Hi

Thanks for the efforts.

I really like your answers.

Could you also tell me on what basis would you decide that which switch is a catalyst switch and which is the other normal layer-2 switch? Are there any parameters to differentiate ?

Also, can you help me knowing that when does a layer -3 switch does routing and when routing....menaing does does a layer -3 switch work.

thanks

Prabhmit

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card