Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

switching

Hello Friends,

I wanted some info on spanning done in switch here I have a situation where I want to sniff the traffic by doing port mirroring and also want that sniff traffic to forward on one of the server ...if anybody can please help with the configuration and switch which supports it......

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: switching

Hi,

What platform and type of software (IOS or CatOS) are you running on the switch in question.

For example if you had a 6500 running IOS, here's the configuration guide for configuring SPAN:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/swcg/span.htm#wp1030170

The syntax will be the same for all IOS based switches, although each platform will have specific limitations on how many sessions you can have, etc.

HTH,

Bobby

Is it possible in Cisco 2950 IOS version 12.1 ??

suppose I have two links that are to be monitored and one server which is connected on same switch want all the sniff data that is monitored what configuration I will need to do at my end??

Cisco Employee

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.

This is very possible on the 2950 running 12.1

First, here's the Configuration Guide:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12122ea5/2950scg/swspan.htm#wp1258110

Here's a sample output from a lab switch. In this example, I'm monitoring ports fa0/7 and fa0/8 with the SPAN port being fa0/9:

switch_5(config)#monitor session 1 source int fa0/7 - 8 both

switch_5(config)#monitor session 1 destination int fa0/9

switch_5(config)#end

switch_5#show mon

5w6d: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by consoleitor

Session 1

---------

Source Ports:

RX Only: None

TX Only: None

Both: Fa0/7-8

Destination Ports: Fa0/9

The 2950 has a limit of one SPAN session at a time. Please refer to the configuration guide for other restrictions.

regards,

Bobby

Hope that helps.. Please rate helpful posts

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content