Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog issue

Manoj Wadhwa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

I need your help regarding syslogs. We noticed that syslogs are not reflecting interfaces down or Admin shut events though logging seems to be properly configured. For example...below is the config on the router

logging buffered 10000 debugging

logging facility local1

logging source-interface Loopback10

logging xxxxx

On one of the interfaces Fa9/47, if i do a unshut and shut again, i only get the below logs on the router

May 7 17:53:35.222 Singapo: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by xxxxx onvty0 (xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx)

However it does not reflect the port went down and came up. The device we are using is cisco CISCO7609.

If anyone of you have come across this, please share your suggestions. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Manoj

11 Replies 11

cisco_lad2004
Level 5
Level 5

try adding "snmp trap link-status " under the actual port.

HTH

Sam

Hi Sam,

We added the below command after which we started receiving the logs in the router buffer.

"Logging event line-status default"

Thanks for your suggestion for snmp.

Hi Manoj,

We have 4 Cisco 4507 siwtches and when we use a show logging command there are no logs displayed for port flaps or port downs. Will this command in Cisco 4507 switches help us to display the port flap or down status? Kindly assist.

yes it would !

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/CLILookup/cltSearchAction.do?Application_ID=CLT&IndexId=IOS&IndexOptionId=123&SearchPhrase=%22*%22&Paging=25&ActionType=getCommandList&Bookmark=True

and if u don't have CCO login, see below.

logging event

To enable notification of interface, subinterface, and Frame Relay data link connection identifier (DLCI) data link status changes, use the logging event command in interface configuration mode. To disable notification, use the no form of this command.

logging event {dlci-status-change | link-status | subif-link-status [ignore-bulk]}

no logging event {dlci-status-change | link-status | subif-link-status [ignore-bulk]}

Pls rate helful posts

HTH

Sam

Hi Sam, Thanks 4 d response. I tried to configure for Cisco 4507 switch and I get the following sub commands. The one that you mention in not present.

(config)#logging ?

Hostname or A.B.C.D IP address of the logging host

buffered Set buffered logging parameters

cns-events Set CNS Event logging level

console Set console logging parameters

count Count every log message and timestamp last occurance

exception Limit size of exception flush output

facility Facility parameter for syslog messages

history Configure syslog history table

host Set syslog server IP address and parameters

monitor Set terminal line (monitor) logging parameters

on Enable logging to all supported destinations

rate-limit Set messages per second limit

source-interface Specify interface for source address in logging transactions

trap Set syslog server logging level

harman

You are looking in global config and not finding the command. But it is not a global config command. It is an interface command. Go into interface config mode for one of your interfaces and look there. I believe that you will find the command in your interface config mode. And I believe that it will work for you to generate syslog messages when the interface goes up or goes down.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I got that. Thanks Rick. Thank you all for ur help.

Hi

TST-POP1-NPE01(config)#logging event link-status default

TST-POP1-NPE01#sh run | inc loggi

logging snmp-authfail

logging buffered 100000 informational

no logging console

logging event link-status default <==============

above is just been tested on 7609 and it is global mode. But perhaps as Rick stated, 4507 would only take this at interface level.

HTH

Sam

Validated Rick's reply on 4510

interface GigabitEthernet1/6

description ### TST-POP1-AGG01:GI6/3 ###

logging event link-status

Sam

Sam

Setting it as a default in global config is a nice capability. I had been aware of the logging event link-status as an interface command, and the documentation cited in a previous post identifies it as an interface command. But it looks like sometimes there is a global opportunity. I am not clear whether it is a platform variable or just a version dependent variable. Thanks for making me aware of the global possibility.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick

It's a pleasure to be able to repay a very microscopic amount back to the seniors who are making this forum what it is: One of the best learning tools and knowledge sharing places!

Regards

Sam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card