Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

System returned to ROM by bus error at PC 0x6323F398, address 0xB0D0B39

Hi, I have an 3845 router:

Cisco IOS Software, 3800 Software (C3845-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(11)XJ4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

After an unexpected reboot it says:

System returned to ROM by bus error at PC 0x6323F398, address 0xB0D0B39 at 12:35:09 GMT Fri Jan 27 2012

To troubleshoot this error I need to find out what kind of processor this router has. It doesnt fall in either of the categories descibed in

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00800cdd51.shtml

I need to find if this reboot was after a hardware or software error.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter,

Don't worry about the processor type as the Bus error troubleshooting document is quite old and these processors are not seen anymore.

But the steps mentioned still holds good, so check if the memory address 0xB0D0B39 falls under Main category of "sh region" output. Then it would be a hardware fault otherwise most probable an IOS bug/issue, which I can see that you'll also agree about the IOS being obsolete

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Peter,

"Bus error" is an unfortunate name for an access violation or segmentation violation - see the following article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_error

Segmentation violation is almost always caused by a faulty software. Looking at your IOS version, I personally strongly suggest upgrading either to one of the latest 12.4T or 15.x IOSes. The "XJ" builds should be considered unstable, short-lived releases containing only recently introduced functionality that was later reintegrated into T trains and ultimately into stable IOS versions.

Best regards,

Peter

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your router crashed, there's a fair chance a "crashinfo" file is present.  Can you please post/attach the last three files?

Wow.  That's a fairly ancient IOS. 

I agree with Peter Paluch.  The "X" series IOS is not very "popular" with alot of people and I too recommend you think of something newer.

OK, thank you both for your replys. An IOS upgrade is imperative. Just to get it right, Anyone has the CPU type?

Peter,

Don't worry about the processor type as the Bus error troubleshooting document is quite old and these processors are not seen anymore.

But the steps mentioned still holds good, so check if the memory address 0xB0D0B39 falls under Main category of "sh region" output. Then it would be a hardware fault otherwise most probable an IOS bug/issue, which I can see that you'll also agree about the IOS being obsolete

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card