Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

T1 configuration

i am bit confuse about the concept that.....what sthe differenc between PRI and T1....or they r both same.....so what sthe difference between chanlized and unchnalized T1......i was configuring my router having PRI card.....some how i created Tunnel 1.....i dont know whats that an dwhy it was created as i was trying to config T1.....kindly help me out as i am bit new in this field....thanks in advance

1 REPLY
Green

Re: T1 configuration

Although both T1 and PRI use the same low-level signaling (i.e., ESF/B8ZS), that's pretty much where the similarity stops.

ISDN uses a control language over the assigned "D" channel to handle the coordination of the traffic over the remaining 23 "B" (Bearer) channels.

If you do a "DEBUG ISDN Q921" you'll see the layer two ISDN managment traffic: if you do a "DEBUG ISDN Q931" command, you'll see the layer 3 ISDN management traffic (call setup, call progression, call ending) ... the ISDN L2/L3 is not part of the Ethernet & TCP/IP L2/L3 ... consider it a sub-layer.

A T1 at the same level, does not have that kind of coordinating protocol. A T1 (channelized) usually relay on a few "robbed bits" (RBS - "Robbed Bit Signaling" Also CAS - "Channel Associated Signaling") to indicate phone off-hook, inbound ring, and perhaps some other info, depending on the endpoint systems.

For a pure data application, the T1 bandwidth is unchannelized and is pretty much a raw bit stream used with an encapsulation like HDLC, PPP, or Frame-Relay.

To use more than one channel on a PRI for data, the channels must be aggregated using protocols like BONDING or MLPPP.

Here's a link to isco's Internetworking Guide online:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/index.htm

It does a pretty good job of covering the high-level details on all of the technologies and protocols.

Good Luck

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content