cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

T1 Crossover cable needed?

scott.bridges
Level 1
Level 1

The main question I have here is what kind of cable I need.

On one side of the room I have a Cisco 2801 with a T1 DSU/CSU card (WIC?). 

The other side of the room I have the white T1 box with "CPE1" and "CPE2" ports.

What do I need to connect these two?  They will need to go through the patch panel to reach across the room regardless of what it needs, but what do I need from the initial CPE1 --> patch panel --> 2801?

Is it a standard straight through?  Crossover?  This "T1 Crossover Cable"?

Thanks for any info

-scott

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Scott,

I would say you need one cross-over cable in the path

http://www.t-radtalk.com/howto/how_to_make_a_t1_cross_over.htm

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've read about this "T1 Crossover cable" before.  Is this the same thing as a regular Ethernet Crossover cable that I'd use to connect two like-devices together?  Or something different?

Hello Scott,

the idea is the same to allow to connect similar ports, the pinout is totally different from an ethernet crossover cable

for example I used this kind of cables to connect back to back two E1 ports in different routers in order to use them as data interfaces in some lab setups.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Okay.

So using this ethernet crossover cable I have will *not* do the trick.  Okay.

So I'll go home tonight and try to make a new cable with the pinout described in that link.

I'm assuming it will be okay if I use standard Cat-5e with RJ-45 ends?  Just using that pinout?

Thanks again!

Hello Scott,

>>

I'm assuming it will be okay if I use standard Cat-5e with RJ-45 ends?  Just using that pinout?

correct

thanks for kind remarks

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: