Views
Helpful
Replies

T1 Serial Interface Card

dacruzer1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have just installed a second T-1 serial interface card on my 2801 router.  I see the interface: interface Serial0/3/0 but I do not see a controller interface.  Is there something I need to do to make sure that the interface is ready to be configured?

Thanks

Al

6 Replies 6

Dragan Ilic
Level 4
Level 4

Have you issued command:

card type t1 ...

Which is going to define your new card interface type inside router.

HTH,

Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

I believe that we need to know what type of T1 card you have installed. The output of show inventory would help with that. Dragan makes a good point that for some of the cards you need to configure the card type before you can configure the controller.

On the other hand if you can see interface serial 0/3/0 then I am pretty sure that your T1 card does not require the card type command, since for cards that require the card type command you would not see the serial interface until after the card type was configured.

My opinion is that if you are seeing the interface show up in the output of show run that the interface is ready to be configured without needing any controller configuration.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Here is the type card I have:

NAME: "WAN Interface Card - HWIC CSU/DSU on Slot 0 SubSlot 3", DESCR: "WAN Interface Card - HWIC CSU/DSU" PID: HWIC-1DSU-T1      , VID: V02 , SN: FOC17499MAW

Thanks

Alfred

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

If the card is a wic1-dsu, the controller will not show up separately.  Use sh int s0/3/0 servi ice-module for the alarms, linecoding and framing defaults.

sh int 0/3/0 service-module:

service-module is not an option but I did a sh int s0/3/0 summary and here is what i got:

2811RTR#sh int s0/3/0 summary

*: interface is up
 IHQ: pkts in input hold queue     IQD: pkts dropped from input queue
 OHQ: pkts in output hold queue    OQD: pkts dropped from output queue
 RXBS: rx rate (bits/sec)          RXPS: rx rate (pkts/sec)
 TXBS: tx rate (bits/sec)          TXPS: tx rate (pkts/sec)
 TRTL: throttle count

Interface                   IHQ       IQD       OHQ       OQD      RXBS      RXPS      TXBS      TXPS      TRTL
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Serial0/3/0                   0         0         0         0         0         0         0         0         0
IndianSprings-2811RTR#

Thanks

This is becoming a discussion about the T1 controller (which is integrated to the interface card for this WIC). If you want a discussion about the T1 controller that is fine. But the original question was " Is there something I need to do to make sure that the interface is ready to be configured?". I believe that the answer to that question is that there is not anything else you need to do. That serial interface is ready for configuration.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card