cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

T1 to ethernet converter

wrwiii122
Level 1
Level 1

I need to be able to convert a ethernet line to T1 and then T1 back to ethernet. I have always been taught to use a router for routing but couldnt I just keep the same subnet and use the routers as converters only?

6 Replies 6

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

Sure, you could just configure the router for bridging.

But there are reasons why this is a bad idea. All broadcast traffic will now traverse your WAN link. You will need to be concerned about potential loops, removing your ability to load balance, and requiring configuration of Spanning Tree Protocol with its many wonderful "gotchas".

Bottom line, you would be going back about 20 years in terms of networking evolution.

Please rate helpful posts.

Tony.henry
Level 1
Level 1

Wrwii122,

Have a look at bridges, I think you'll find thats the term your looking for. That would keep your network flat. You could your serial interface to the same bridge as your ethernet interface.

Tony Henry

bridges have T1 csu/dsu? There is only one camera on the other side of the link so broadcasts are not that important

Wrwii122,

Bridge is the keyword. Configure the router as a bridge.

Tony

Ive never done that. What is the command?

In global config mode:

Router(config)# no ip routing

Disables IP routing.

Router(config)# bridge 1 protocol ieee

Defines the type of Spanning Tree Protocol and identifies a bridge group.

The bridge group number is used when you configure the interface and assign it to a bridge group. Packets are bridged only among members of the same bridge group.

In interface config mode for serial and ethernet:

Router(config-if)# bridge-group 1

Assigns the specified interface to a bridge group.

Please rate helpful posts.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card