Views
Helpful
Replies

T1 to Ethernet Solution

smiths@prpa.org
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

We have a need to provide bandwidth to a remote area using only T1 connectivity and was wondering if Cisco offers any solutions that could be used to combine multiple T1 lines and convert those into Ethernet? Our telecom folks can give me up to 20 T1 lines through their equipment, and we need to find a solution that would allow us to combine T1s into Ethernet.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

~Steve

10 Replies 10

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Steve

There are probably some aspects of your situation that I do not understand well. And understanding them might change some parts of my answer. But based on what I think I understand in your question I would give this as my answer:

there is not any device that I know of that can directly convert T1 into Ethernet. and since T1 is essentially a point to point connection it would make sense that the areas (with multiple users) would have some device that would accept traffic from the local (remote) connected devices and would output the traffic over a T1 interface.

what might work is a router with T1 serial interface(s) and an Ethernet interface. Assuming that the remote area had some number of devices they could connect to the remote router via Ethernet and the router could take the Ethernet traffic and send it over the T1. and the device at the head end could take traffic from the T1(s) and send it over the Ethernet to its networks.

There are at least 2 ways in which this could be implemented. One alternative (which I believe is optimal) is to use routing. You would configure the Ethernet at each remote as a unique subnet. You would configure the T1 at each remote as a unique subnet. the router at the head end would have multiple T1 (with multiple subnets) and route it onto another unique subnet at the head end. you could accomplish this with static routes, but it would be better to use a dynamic routing protocol for this.

the other alternative would be to use bridging instead of routing. you could configure bridging at each remote site to bridge its Ethernet over its T1 to the head end. and the head end router could bridge on to the destination. this might be reasonable if there were 1 or 2 remote sites. but as the number of remote sites increases this solution becomes less efficient.

either of these solutions could work on Cisco routers. I would recommend the routed solution. But either of them could work - depending on the particulars of your situation.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need an high end router for 20 T1s.

Ask telco for a DS3 circuit, that would let you use a much smaller and conomical router.

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

Don't know whether this solution is suitable for your requirement.

Ask your Telcom folks if they can provide a new box which can provide you Ethernet over Sonet/SDH solution. On single ethernet port you can get multiple T1 till 100Mbps.

Cisco have this feature on their Optical networking products but they dont have smaller boxes.

something like this

http://www.overturenetworks.com/products/name/ISG2200.html

Thanks for the suggestion...in fact we're using that in areas where we can, but in this instance they can only provide me with X number of T1s.

~Steve

can your telecom provider provide you optical output which is also economical as minimum is OC-3.

As the signalling required for ethernet over SONET is lost when it is converted to T1.

Hi, you should insist with telco for a DS3 or optical facility. If they care about you as a customer, they can deliver that anywhere.

Multiple T1s will only cost you more and give more trouble.

Hi Steve,

Do you have idea how your telecom provider is providing you 20E1?

bagvanliju
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have many customers which is not having MUX at their premises. As per customer requirement our vendor suggested E1 to Ethernet converter...this has tested and implemented successfully.. eg: customer requirement was 8 Mbps (there was no feasibility for MUX since it was a remote location) we installed one RIC E1 which gave input 4 E1 to 8Mbps output....

Disadvantage:

Since links are running in copper its prone to get errors in that case its tough to isolate which E1 is having errors. Due to this isolation may take some time

Check with Service provide wheather feasibility is there for fiber,

kindly check the below link

http://www.rad.com/10/E1_Serial_and_Ethernet_Interface_Converter/3213/

Hope this may help

ujil

Hi ujil,

If i am not wrong, this RIC 4E1 are going over fiber? Means you have fiber till customer premise. This equipment was preferred ealier as

1.SONET/SDH mux dont have ethernet

termination,

2 Take less space.

3 Cheaper than SONEt/SDH mux

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,Yes its going over fiber,But exchange end there will be an Electrical drop were Master modem will be connected from there its going via "Copper" till customer premises.

"Means you have fiber till customer premise "

No ... if fiber is there we can easly provide direct ethernet connection...from MUX,

in this case from RSU (Xchange) copper layed till customer end ...Slave modem (G703) from modem to RIC E1 port....

Even configuration in RIC is very simple.

Find the PCD of one of our MPLS customer...

Hope this will help

ujil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: