Views
Helpful
Replies

Tcp and snmp communication

stephtchoko
Level 3
Level 3

Hello all;

I'm find an explanation of one issue face in our network. We have a part of our network which is not segmented.We install a sniffer server without configuring span, this sniffer server was connected to the cisco switch.

We discover that this sniffer is able to see tcp &snmp traffic between PRTG server and remote equipment monitored via snmp.

I'm confused, because i do not know why a unicast traffic can be received by sniffer. Please, can you know the different reason of this behavoir and how to avoid it ?

Thank you & Best regards.

Stephane.

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, something is not correct with the switch, and you should examine carefully its configuration.

I attached the switch configuration and log. Please, have a look on it and let me know what should be aligned.

Regards,

Stephane.

Check:

%C4K_EBM-4-HOSTFLAPPING: Host 00:13:C3:9A:A8:00 in vlan 1 is f

lapping between port Gi1/32 and port Gi1/37

You probably have a topology loop that causes the switch to flood unknown MAC to all ports.

I do not understand the low rating give to my post above.

The switch is telling you clearly that you have at least one flapping MAC, so you should investigate that.

Please refrain to use the rating system if you can't make a good use of it.

I put the low rate because, event when the switch forward the traffic to mac address HSRP the snffer is receiving it. I can not confirm that is coming the loop.You mention what is the root cause. We are still verifying.

Thank you for your comprehension.

Stephane.

You did not mentioned HSRP in first place, in fact that is the most likely cause of unicast flooding. See cases 4 and 8 in the following document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094afd.shtml

So, it's appropriate to bring all the facts and wait for the discussion to complete before giving ratings.

Hello bevilacqua,

Other than HSRP, can we have another explanation of lack of the unicast flooding ? Do you want to see the wireshark output ?

Regards,

Stephane.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card