cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TELCO CIRCUIT QUESTION

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Do the telcos offer circuits between 1 and 10 gig? Like, say, a 5 gig circuit? If 1 isnt enough, the next step up is 10, right?

...need a quick verification...

Thanks!

[EDIT] I'll take that back, I dont think that Metro-E offerings go higher than 1 Gigabit. Do they? [EDIT]

4 Replies 4

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Telco do offer. Check with XO. For sure, there will be more.

hth

MS

**Rate helpful posts**

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

Metro Etherent offering can go higher but from 1G to only 10G (as you mentioned). But on single port only 1G, it is because they can easily increase the bandwidth of same 10/100/1000Mb port to speed you want (Telco have to configure more circuit).

But to provide more than this they have to change port from 1G to 10G as there is no port which can provide 10/100/1000/10000 Mb on a single port.

Maybe because of technical limitations, 10G on multimode Fiber go only few hundred meters dont know how much will it go over copper Cat cables. One more reason i can think is cost of the port which can go from 10Mbps to 10Gbps.

Maybe you can bundle few 1G channels if possible like you bundle few T1 to get more.

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

yes, telco's offer different speeds based on availability and type of delivery.

for example:

You can ethernet

you can bundle T-1's

you can get DS3, oc3, etc...

I know that with ATT and Qwest, if they can delivery you can go in 1Mb layers up to their capacity at that site.

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

MetroE does offers 10G. But I think it depends in your country/city and TELCO and whether both sites are local or one is local and the other is overseas.

You better check with your TELCO and make sure to provide the info regarding the location of both sites.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card