Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Telecommunicatation switches and different Layer 2 WAN Technologies

I just want to know in general, does a telecommunications switch can handle different layer 2 wan technologies (Frame Relay, ATM, ISDN--etc)? or it should be specified for specific technology only ?

Yes I know there are different modules and type of switches, but I am looking to know does it possible (practical) for a telecommunication switch to handle more than one tecnology ?

• WAN Routing and Switching
2 REPLIES

Re: Telecommunicatation switches and different Layer 2 WAN Techn

Hi,

let´s focus on Cisco WAN switches. They offer indeed a variety of different services in the same switch.

Generally Frame-Relay will be transported over ATM because of higher bandwidths available. So a Frame-Relay switch will have ATM interfaces as well. Additionally there are Voice modules to connect PBXs or even PBX to VoIP and vice versa.

On the other hand you have pure ATM switches in the market as well. I would assume that it makes sense for a vendor to offer more than one service in one switch, because this is attractive to telcos. They save some money, rack space and so on.

My 5 cents

Martin

Re: Telecommunicatation switches and different Layer 2 WAN Techn

Thanks Martin

"let´s focus on Cisco WAN switches. They offer indeed a variety of different services in the same switch".

Yes I am aware of that because I can see these type of switches in any Lab.

But as you know that Telecommunication switches are different from cisco switches.

I have not seen these (Teleco) type of switches in reality,,,therefore in my thread I have asked about Telec switches not Cisco switches.

((Generally Frame-Relay will be transported over ATM because of higher bandwidths available)).

I did not get what you meant here.

Is this conclusion why Frame Relay can run over ATM ?

((On the other hand you have pure ATM switches in the market as well.))

Do you maen by ATM switch which is used by Telec or the ATM switch that is used by any premises ? because as I mentioned in my thread I am not looking about switches in a premises (I have seen ATM switches not Cisco vendor).

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.