Views
Helpful
Replies

telnet access enable mode directly..

ikizoo4
Level 1
Level 1

Dears

How can I get into enable mode directly by telnet?

thanks

5 Replies 5

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

I think you can use the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk59/technologies_tech_note09186a00800949d5.shtml

hope it helps.

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Here is what you need to do.

Set up a username with a priviledge level 15 and the password. Use the local login method to check the username and password in the router local user database.

conf t

username abc priviledge 15 password *****

line vty 0 4

login local

The moment you telnet to it and provide username and pwd, you will be on enable prompt directly.

HTH,

-amit singh

There are multiple ways to achieve this. Which one would work best for you is something that you will have to decide depending on your situation and your requirements.

If you want all users who telnet to the router to go into enable mode then the simple solution is to add this configuration command on all the vty ports:

privilege level 15

If you do this when telnet connects to the vty port the user will be in enable mode.

If you want some users to go to enable mode but not others then you need other alternatives. The suggestion by Amit that you configure login local and create user IDs and specify the privilege level of users who are to go to enable mode is one way. If you do this you will need to create user IDs for everyone who will telnet to this router. It works well if you are doing a fairly small group of users on a small number of routers. But this solution does not scale well if you have lots of users or lots of routers.

Another solution is available if you are using aaa on the router and a TACACS server for authentication. You can configure user IDs in TACACS and specify enable access for the users that you want to get enable access. You then need to be sure that your aaa configuration specifies aaa authorization in addition to aaa authentication. This solution scales better if you have lots of users or lots of routers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

thanks for response,, I appreciate it.

actually, what i want is everybody telnet to loopback and directly enable mode.

If you want everyone to go directly into enable mode then my first suggestion is what you should do. On all the vty lines add the command privilege level 15.

This will do it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card