cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

test of layer 2

a.rayen83
Level 1
Level 1

hi, please i have to test a connection betwwen two routers, usually i test layer 3 with a ping, than now i want to test only layer 2. Thanks

6 Replies 6

chintu_punjabi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Usually its like, if layer 3 is perfect then layer2 is assumed to be working fine. Now if you specifically want to test layer 2 only. Then, if its a P2P link, then you can only observe it for input errors, frames discarded etc.

Regards

hi, thanks for your help, but i'm not looking for this, i can check it, i want to know how can i do i loop between my router and the remote router, than if this loop work, we can said that we have a conenction layer 2, i need the steps to do this. thanks

Hi,

You can use "Show cdp neighbor details" to perform L2 tests.

Hope This Helps

Shaheen

hi, yes it's a good idea, but i'm sure that we can use a loop to do this test, thanks

Hi,

you can also configure a point-to-point connection between both routers and assign ip addresses, This prove L2 and L3 connectivity. You may wish to use /30 so only these two routers are able to talk to each other via the required interfaces.

HTH

shaheen

eugene.fourie
Level 1
Level 1

If you have the same WAN encapsulation on the interfaces you can run #debug interface serial

this should give you a myseq/mineseen/yourseen seq number for layer 2 transmissions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: