Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

test of layer 2

hi, please i have to test a connection betwwen two routers, usually i test layer 3 with a ping, than now i want to test only layer 2. Thanks

6 REPLIES

Re: test of layer 2

Hi, Usually its like, if layer 3 is perfect then layer2 is assumed to be working fine. Now if you specifically want to test layer 2 only. Then, if its a P2P link, then you can only observe it for input errors, frames discarded etc.

Regards

hi, thanks for your help, but i'm not looking for this, i can check it, i want to know how can i do i loop between my router and the remote router, than if this loop work, we can said that we have a conenction layer 2, i need the steps to do this. thanks

Hi,

You can use "Show cdp neighbor details" to perform L2 tests.

Hope This Helps

Shaheen

hi, yes it's a good idea, but i'm sure that we can use a loop to do this test, thanks

Hi,

you can also configure a point-to-point connection between both routers and assign ip addresses, This prove L2 and L3 connectivity. You may wish to use /30 so only these two routers are able to talk to each other via the required interfaces.

HTH

shaheen

If you have the same WAN encapsulation on the interfaces you can run #debug interface serial

this should give you a myseq/mineseen/yourseen seq number for layer 2 transmissions.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content