cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Testing ISP capacity

Rawa Salah
Level 1
Level 1

am ISP and i  want to test my maximum bandwith capacity that i recieved from my ISP , how can i set huge load to test my capacity ,

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are devices available that are designed to generate load for testing circuits. If you have access to such a device that is the best solution. If you do not have access to such a device it is more difficult to create an effective test of maximum capacity. It is especially difficult to create a sufficiently large load using a single device to generate the traffic. Your best approach would be to have multiple devices as sources of traffic and communicating to multiple devices as destinations. Tools such as iperf may help you to generate and measure the load.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Mr.Richard

till now i downloaded Huge file by Intnernet Download Manager for testing My ISP Capacity, but i think there is an software to generate this huge traffic and it will help mr to know howmuch maximum Capacity do i have from my ISP , do you know about any software ?.

As I said in my previous post it is difficult to get a really good measurement of capacity when you are testing from a single host. While downloading a large file can give you a relative measure of performance (downloading the file is slower today than it was yesterday so there must be some congestion today) it is not a particularly accurate measure of capacity. Testing from multiple hosts will give a more accurate test.

I am familiar with iperf which is software that will generate test traffic. I am sure that there are other software as well. Perhaps someone else in the forum has a suggestion about other software?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Keep in mind that if you want to test the bandwith capacity of your Internet connection you need to run several tests at different periods of the day and different days of the week. For example just after lunch is a peak time for Internet use.

A quick and simple test can be found here: http://www.speedtest.net/

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card